Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gautama5_gw

beige house blues

gautama5
10 years ago

My mom (she is 83) bought a new home twelve years ago. She wishes to sell it. Realtor says paint it. The interior of the home is Duron Soft White: walls,ceiling,chair rail, trim, doors...everything. My mom had plantation shutters and wood blinds custom made in the SAME soft white. Plus the carpet is beige. There are honey oak hardwoods/cabinets in the dining room/kitchen. The living area has a cathedral ceiling and a decorative ledge for display. Even the exterior is beige with brown shutters and brown front door. Yes...a color phobic's dream.
Ideas?

Comments (5)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It's a great backdrop to other colors. Will the house be furnished when shown? Are the walls in bad shape and need freshening or is it just the color that's the issue? Choosing colors for someone else doesn't make sense to me. A pretty neutral palette of beige and whites is clean, fresh and versatile.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Maybe get a sample of Benjamin Moore's Shaker Beige - lots of times it works well with Oak. See what you think of it for the walls. I wouldn't paint anything else but walls in the main areas.

• gautama5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The problem is there is no white. I like a neutral with crisp white trim, doors, etc. It is a clean look. In the current all one color paint job, the ceiling blends to the walls, to the windows and to the floor without stopping anywhere. My first thought was to paint the ceiling, trim, and doors white. But since the plantation shutters and blinds are beige, that might look odd. Or would it?

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

If it were me, i would probably paint the walls a neutral color like Funcolors suggested. Another good one is SW accessible Beige or Crewel Tan. To me, its easier to paint walls than trim thought it will take far more paint. As for the exterior, a few strategically placed pots of colorful flowers or inexpensive flowerbeds and mulch can really liven up the outdoors for minimal cost. I bought my house with it painted one color throughout. It was SW Sensational Sand and i have tan carpet. Its not my favorite color and ive changed some rooms but it made the house seems spacious and it was workable with my furniture. Id rather have a blank canvas than a house full of crazy colors anyday.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

That does sound like it needs some perking up. If the walls are in good shape, painting the woodwork, doors and ceiling white sounds like a good plan. With the trim and maybe the sill painted white, I think the beige colored shutters could look alright. Shutters don't always match the trim though we probably see it more that way than not. Are they a factory finish you don't want to mess with?