Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pshermanfl

Paint colors for chair rail (specifics)

pshermanfl
12 years ago

Hi, I know that this subject has been covered, but before we make this major change to our living room I just wanted to get a little specific advice on it. Thanks in advance for helping. Our living room is small (12x16), square, with not a lot of wall space, given the large double window and the doors. My original plan was to put a milk chocolate brown on top, wide chair rail painted brilliant white to match the top and bottom molding and window frame, and a lighter shade in that brown family for the bottom. I've about changed my mind, seeing the wisdom of using the lighter shade on top. The only thing that is nagging me here is that this means that against that darker brown bottom will be: a large dark brown leather chair and ottoman, a dark wood china cabinet that will be below the chair rail, a cloth light brown chair, a dark wood end table between those chairs, and a tall dark brown china cabinet in a corner. I'm afraid that all this furniture will just disappear against the chocolate brown. I am fairly married to using those colors based on the flooring, rug, and two shelving units in the room. The chair rail will be about 1/3 of the way up the wall from the floor. The flooring is lighter than the lighter paint color. Do you think this much darkness below the chair rail will be ok, or is this a case where it might be better to have the lighter color on the bottom? I am a fan of dark colors and chose the chocolate color originally for the top because I like it...but not for the whole room, I need the light accent. What do you think? Keep the darker on the bottom despite the dark furniture?

Comment (1)