Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannes

FPE for front door

cannes
13 years ago

We are planning on purchasing a new wood front entry door. The door has an eastern exposure and a tiny 1' awning. I've always wanted a glossy front door. Do you suppose the FPE Brilliant Hollandlac enamel would be a good choice for my front door?

Comments (5)

• ronald107
    13 years ago

Sure! Note my enthusiastic posting on this forum from June 26. Just give FPE a call. They're real helpful. Tell them what you've got and pick a color and they'll walk you thru it and send you everything you need. I couldn't be happier with the results. My door is the talk of the neighborhood!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Paints of Europe

• cannes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Ronald. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Now I just need to decide on color!

I have no idea how I had originally missed your post, but am happy you directed me to it. Thanks again!

• amberley
    13 years ago

I used it on mine about 2 years ago and it is fantastic. I have a southern exposure and I used the full gloss black. It is stunning and hard as nails. I also used the satin on my new all wood window sashes as well as the original fluted trim around them on my bay window and it has held up flawlessly. Would do it again and again.

• cannes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your post Amberley. Another happy customer! I'm happy to hear all these good things about it. I've had my heart set on a glossy door for years.

• nick59
    13 years ago

This paint was called Dutchlac before, and the gloss was the best..(I'm not sure what is used on 10 Downing Street but what ever that is ,thats the best as well)
    I had recently bought Hollandlac but result was not as good but that went on top of someone elses primer,which could be cause...but I'd ask them if formulation has changed compared to Dutchlac.
    I'd recommend it for door(gloss/Oil only) with they're primer under it,but don't get sucked in to buying they're stuff to put on walls(drywall) as it is costing $125 for 2.55 Quarts ....ie. $192 A GALLON. Which is a scam.
    Only worth it on trim or woodwork & only in Oil Gloss.
    It has to be applied very miserly and spread...if it is not to drip(Dutchlac)