Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtwren

Tips & techniques for painting cabinets!

MTwren
9 years ago

I've been looking for existing threads, but can't seem to find any... please feel free to point me in the right direction if relevant threads are out there!

I'm in the process of painting my kitchen cabinets with Cabinet Coat. So far, I have:

1) cleaned, sanded, deglossed
2) primed with Zinsser BIN
3) sanded primer
4) applied 1 coat of CC to both sides

My question: as of now, after one coat of paint, I can still see some brush marks and the subtle texture of the rollers. I'm using a 2" Purdy angled brush for between the raised panel, and I've tried both brushing and rolling paint onto the raised panels and outside edges. With both approaches, I don't see much "leveling" happening. Perhaps this is because I've gone too lightly with my paint application? I'm just trying to avoid any pooling of paint in the crevices, which seems hard to avoid when I load the brush or roller with more paint.

Do folks have specific tips/pointers/techniques to share? I would really love for the 2nd (and hopefully final) coat to look great and not show much of the roller "stippling" or brush strokes.

Thank you for your help!

Comments (4)

• MTwren
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more thing to add: It says on the can not to add any thinner, but perhaps folks *do* add a bit to help with the flow and leveling?

I've added a picture of a front panel after the first coat to show the texture of the roller and brush strokes I'm seeing.

• tbo123
    9 years ago

which roller are you using?

I assume you are looking for a sprayed look. Well, the way to get that is to spray.

In my opinion, All the hype on the internet about the leveling qualities of these "cabinet paints" is just that, hype. I think they will level just fine if you "apply" them. Like in, lay out a stroke once and don't go back over it. But, if you try to 'paint' with them, it's very aggravating.

I tried the cabinet coat and it seemed OK except I didn't like the sheen so I gave up on it. It was also pretty thin.

As far as cutting it, I was wondering that since it is a Urethane paint, if you could dilute with poly of your choice of sheen. Maybe someone has some advice on that.

Anyway, looking at the stipple on your panel, seems like you used a traditional roller or didn't flatten out/sand the Bins enough.

• MTwren
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the response, tbo123.

The roller I started with was a Purdy 3/8" nap (smooth surfaces) and then I switched to a foam roller. I didn't notice much of a difference so stuck with the foam roller. Maybe I'll try a 3/16" to 1/4" roller tomorrow. I sanded the BIN pretty thoroughly--smooth as a baby's bottom was the goal!

Has anyone had experience/good results with thinning Cabinet Coat with poly for smoother application?

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

Has anyone had experience/good results with thinning Cabinet Coat with poly for smoother application?

VERY bad idea

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH