Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Semi-gloss or gloss on bathroom cabinets

Posted by nanabella (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 15:09

The argument with my husband is: I say the bathroom undersink "builder" cabinets are semi-gloss and he says they're gloss. It's not like we haven't painted before but the builder doesn't even recall after 10 years.

Wouldn't gloss look just a little bit too shiny? What do most people use on theirs? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Semi-gloss or gloss on bathroom cabinets

Yes gloss is gone for the most part. It may even be satin. Builder grade cabinets are hardly ever that shiny.

o
RE: Semi-gloss or gloss on bathroom cabinets

If the cabinet is thermofoil, it could be glossy. If it's a painted finish, satin or semi-gloss usually, but people still do use a glossy finish, especially for a more contemporary look. A matte finish is pretty, too. If you are painting your cabinets yourself, different paint brands have different sheens, even if they're called the same thing.
It comes down to personal style.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here