Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannine

Benjamin Moore Sample Availability

Jeannine
10 years ago

Hi all!

It's been a while since I've frequented the paint forum. A new house means a lot of rooms to paint, so I'm back!

I'm dealing with a shortage of Benjamin Moore paint samples locally and I'm hoping this isn't a widespread thing. My local dealer has very few 2 oz. sample pots in stock. I tweeted with Benjamin Moore and they said they only sell 16 oz. "samples" (that's a full pint!) online.

Has anyone noticed a limited selection of 2 oz. samples at their local Benjamin Moore dealer? The three near me are owned by the same people. I could drive an hour to get to a different "group" of stores and am wondering if it's worth it.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• Jeannine
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just to show you what I mean, here is one side of the carousel that holds the samples at my local store:

• roof35
    10 years ago

It's been a year since I bought samples of BM. I did have to get the full pints, because they didn't have the colors I was interested in, using stock samples.

In their defense, I couldn't even conceive them trying to carry 2 oz samples of all their colors.

• bullydosmom
    10 years ago

The reason for the pint size is because they can mix you ANY color you want not just limited to the most popular colors. Sherwin Williams sample are a 29oz size!

• mom270
    10 years ago

You could call the stores you're thinking of to ask if they have the colors you want. My local BM is frequently out of the "hot" colors but I live in a densely populated area so there's plenty more dealers I could drive to within a 10 mile radius.

Would it be cheaper/easier to order online and have them shipped to you?

• Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

I am currently looking for BM or SW paint. Neither of the local stores where I live carry small pots. At both stores I have to purchase at least a pint. Can be very costly so I will wait until I have it narrowed down to maybe 3 paint colors and then purchase samples of those and keep my fingers crossed it will be one of those that works! I also do not paint on anything but my wall - I have tried the poster board way a few times and it didn't show the true "wall" color in my house. I almost made a huge mistake in painting a 2 story foyer.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

I have tried the poster board way a few times and it didn't show the true "wall" color in my house.

That's because a poster board, like all typical paint color sample boards, are stark white and do not conform to the wall's texture.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

My BM store doesn't carry any samples at all. They said I have to buy quart containers. That is just way to much paint for a sample.

I ran into the same problem with my SW store. They also only had quart size. I bought 4 samples and only one would I consider.

I sent for a few samples of Ellen Kennon paints and her samples are small but as expensive as the larger SW samples. I just sent for her complete cutting samples and will choose several colors from them and then order more samples. It is a bit expensive but way less expensive than painting the wrong color.

• baltomom_gw
    10 years ago

I bought a whole bunch of BM samples using SW paint. The SW samples are at least a pint, but they are cheap, like $4 each. I used the BM chips, took them into my local SW store, and they made samples. I also got paint samples in BM colors from Pittsburgh Paints. Their samples are a bit more expensive than SW's sample pints, but less than BM samples.

I figure I can use the extra sample paints for kids' painting projects!

I painted my entire entry hall in a BM color using Behr Premium paint (Behr's top of the line, not sure if that's what it's called exactly), and it worked really well. My painter, who is a paint snob, told me he was really happy with the Behr paint, and surprised by now well it covered and by the final effect, which is really nice. It was significantly less expensive than equivalent BM paint.

I mention this because while I love the BM colors (in some cases), don't get too hung up on using only BM paints. There are other paints that are equally good, for less money.

• linley1
    10 years ago

I just ran into the same issue at my local paint store - no more 2 oz. samples except Aura. They said they are no longer being made because the manufacturer of the sample pots has retired???. I'm surprised BM doesn't make these in house. Very frustrating.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Try an ACE/Valspar store.
    The samples I tint are ACTUAL Paint tint-bases in a pint, for $4.99.
    Both lines of samples are Interior-Satin only (ACE's "Clark + Kensington" label, & Valspar).

BUT...$5 for a REAL sample?!?!
    Easy-peezy!

Faron