Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me paint my new modern house

Posted by kim545 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 14:06

We are building a modern style house and I need help deciding on paint colors. I will say that we like natural, neutral colors. I know that sounds really boring, but we currently have a golden yellow house, and had a canary yellow house in the past. Now we want something nice and neutral that allows the stone, architecture and landscape to shine.

Here is the front of the house. Stone will go on the 2-story wall marked, as well as the column to the right of the door.
Photobucket

This is the stone. It has hints of gray, taupe, beige, bronze and green.
Photobucket

Here is a pic of the back of the house. The 4 columns on the patio will also have the stone.
Photobucket

I'm leaning towards a light/medium base color (it's Florida - and it's HOT), a medium/dark accenting color (maybe on the 2nd story), and a dark trim. Problem is the colors I like tend to turn on me next to the stone.

Planning to stain the front doors walnut and paint the glass trim to match on the doors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me paint my new modern house

Lovely house ... very Prairie School and serene.

Given the colors in the stone, how about two shades of grey or grey-brown taken from the stone. One on the prominent banding, one on the rest of the walls.

If they are pale grey and a slightly darker grey you would enhance the horizontals subtly, and have the pillar of yellow and grey stone standing out.

Using the paler color on the walls would make them move forward, using the darker color would make them look set deeper and look more shadowed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here