Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
l_ann_gw

Color for kitchen walls and countertops

L.Ann
11 years ago

Hi All,

Please help me choose a paint color for kitchen. It is an open room, so it has very little wall space - on sides and over the cabinets. Room is facing northwest and does not get a lot of natural light. Current paint makes room even darker, though it is a beautiful color and matches backsplash good and kind of draws attention from our oak cabinets. The rest of open space is painted light color. You can see it on picture taken so kitchen wall is hidden. It also shows color of the floor. We are going to lightly renovate kitchen - new stone countertops and appliances, so it would be a good time to repaint. But I am worried if I paint kitchen lighter color - this grainy wood on cabinets will stand out too much. I was also thinking grey granite will be a nie, not too wild contrast to cabinets, backsplash and floor. So I would like your input on two questions - repaint kitchen in lighter color or keep current one? And will grey granite work with both colors? I do not want everything to be brown and tan.

If it helps, current kitchen color is Dutch Boy Dura Clean "Indian Tile". Color on other wall and the rest of the open space is Dutch Boy Dura Clean "Colonial Cobblestone".

Comments (3)

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

You may get some good feedback here, but I'd also post this on the Kitchens forum, if you haven't already. Not only have folks there dealt with oak cabinets and the color challenge they present, but they're also familiar with all sorts of stones and other kitchen materials.

• kristinalynn
    11 years ago

I think that it is hard to pair up cool and warm colors, so I would avoid doing a solid gray counter when it appears that most of the colors in your room are warm neutrals. However, if you find a material that is mostly gray but has some brown mixed in it then that should work nicely.

Since your kitchen has so many shades of brown (and peach?) in it I would definitely pick up a gallon of paint to tone it down. I would do a light neutral green which would play off of the oak in your kitchen nicely. I painted a bedroom with similar trim BM Spring Valley and it looked great- but that might have a bit too much mint in it for you. I've attached a pic link below.

Another nice neutral greenish color that I have picked up is BM sag harbor gray which was discussed here http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0421213711053.html
    If it is too gray for you I would suggest looking up this color on BMs site and clicking on the similar colors.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• L.Ann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jessicaml, I was initially torn where to post - here or Kitchen forum. I will probably post there too to get more input. Thanks for suggestion!

Kristinalynn, Thank you for color ideas. You are right, Spring valley looks too minty for my taste. Another one -Sag harbor gray - looks beautiful on pictures, but every time it paired wih white trim, so I am wondering how it would look with oak wood. Good point about cool and warm colors. I was thinking grey for granite would be neautral enough next to "peachy" tiles. So grey with brown specs might be way to go. You also gave me an idea to wait with painting and install countertops first and paint wall one of the colors from granite.
    There is so little actual wall space in the kitchem, maybe I will just paint it with Cobblestone to match the rest of the house and see if it lightens the space. Right now kitchen is so dark without electric lights. I love natural light and there is not much of it in the kitchen. It can't possibly worse than now.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions