Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

Is Valspar one-coat REALLY one-coat?

carsonheim
9 years ago

I got a bid on painting my whole house (new construction). The bid includes materials using Valspar one-coat paint. Anyone have experience with this? Does it *really* cover well in one coat? Does it affect the depth of the color?

Any comments are appreciated!!!! :)

Comments (12)

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

First, I'd have a discussion with the painter. See what he says.

IMO as an DIY engineer / homeowner - two coats give a better job. My experience is mainly with using a paint roller.

I've used many different premium brands of paint. I've always done two coats.

Painter's are notorious for try to cut corners. No doubt some can lay on one thick coat - but I'd rather have two coats.

Perhaps if the wall is primed, and the primer is close to the wall color... maybe one coat.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Does it *really* cover well in one coat?

It depends on how thin the painter spreads it and if they are spraying or rolling, and what the color change is ...

The label says "One gallon of paint will cover up to 400 sq ft depending on surface porosity"

UP TO 400!!!!! That's actually pretty thick if you are rolling, about 4 sq ft per rollerfull (a 2x2 square), and many people apply it a lot thinner and need two coats because they have blotchy thin spots.

You need to have one GOOD uniform coat of drywall primer, even behind cabinets, and then your color coat or coats.

So, yes, talk to the painter and specify in terms of coverage

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

No real painter would depend on what any manufactures claim to one coat coverage, it just does not happen in the real painting world.

• Michael
    9 years ago

One coat over primer is acceptable. If you ask the old dogs, it's better than two coats of paint.

So, if primer color is compatible to finish coat, go for it.

I'd spread one gallon over 350 SF.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

"Cover in 1 coat"..................

Wellllll....of course ANYTHING will "cover" in 1 coat...;-)
    (think about it for a sec....covering in one coat doesn't really say anything, does it...;-))

Yes, 2 coats ALWAYS brings a more even depth of color.
    The "human element" is involved here remember!

Faron

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

"One coat over primer is acceptable. If you ask the old dogs, it's better than two coats of paint. "

First you say "is acceptable" - doesn't sound like a glowing reccomendation.

Then you say "it's better than two coats of paint."

Can you give a technical explanation why one thick coat is better than two regular coats?

I can tell you why two coats are better:

First off the painted surface has many small pores. With two coats, the pores that aren't filled with the first coat are more likely (statistically) to be filled with the second coat.

Secondly you have a lot better control on the even distribution of paint. One thick coat can leave drips / wrinkles, / sags.

Third is durability: Bumps and dings are less likely to penetrate two layers of paint.

Considering that prep and labor accounts for most of the cost - a second coat is greatly cheaper, probably
    another 20%.

• Michael
    9 years ago

GB...I always used the three coat system.

Nevertheless, some folks and some painters will use a two coat system and it's worked for many, many years.

It all depends on the substrate and expectations of client.

Don't buy a new house!

• Michael
    9 years ago

By the way, Faron and others are selling paint. One, two, three gallons. Who can't do that?

When a painter is selling paint, along with $500 in labor, he better have options. In the selling world, it's called Good, Better, Best.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Yes, I've been in retail paint for 12+ years.

When I "sell" 2 coats of paint, it's because I want their jobs to have the best results...NOT just to sell paint. We've got a good rep. because of that. I always go into the specific "Why's" if someone doesn't believe me.

Faron

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

A primer plus one coat of paint is the same thing as two coats of washable paint. Of course, this depends on the quality of the primer. A crappy primer that doesn't seal very well doesn't count as a first coat or a primer so you will need to apply two coats of washable finish paint over that to get the professional look.

I don't even mess around anymore with trying to sell customers on the prime plus two coats system unless it is new drywall. In my heart, I just don't feel as if my customers will get the best bang for their buck that way. In other words, if I do primer plus two coats over a previously painted surface, it's not going to be a significantly better end result than if I just applied two coats of a high quality paint. The customer won't notice, so I just don't think it's necessary. Now, if the customers are wealthy people that want the best of the best, then of course I will do it. I would also do it in my own house.

• Michael
    9 years ago

Faron,

I didn't imply that you sell more paint than required. My point is, it's much easier to sell $50 of paint than $500 labor.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Brush-

I didn't "think" you meant that, but wasn't 100% sure! :-)

Yes...sadly...selling folks on a decent "prep & paint" job is difficult! Seems like so many people think painters should get paid $50 per total-job for labor...:-(

BUT...they'll routinely pay auto-mech's $75/hr.
    (not the the BEST example I realize, but it works on many levels...)

Faron

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner