Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is painting plastic cabinet doors a good idea?

Posted by kwb1999 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 13:03

Hi!

We just purchased a house that is quite a fixer-upper, and are trying to do a lot of improvements on a limited budget. The kitchen has very ugly pseudo-wood plastic cabinet doors (maybe they are melamine???). We'd rather not spend the money to replace the doors, so I was hoping to paint them white. I have gotten mixed advice as to whether this will work. Has anyone done this? If so, what kind of prep do I need to do, and what kind of paint should I use?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is painting plastic cabinet doors a good idea?

It will work if you do it right. Just because something is no or low maintenance in its current state doesn't mean people want to live with it. It just means whatever ugly is going on will continue to look perfectly ugly indefinitely.

Cabinets see wear. Whether they are painted or not painted, they're still going to get worn and used. Worse case is the cabinet doors/drawers you use most often, that will see the most wear, will have to get a refresher coat in a couple years. Buy extra paint and store it properly in case cosmetic intervention is needed down the road.

Not painting them because they might chip and look bad is a valid concern, but if you think they already look bad now as they are albeit for different reasons, what's the diff?

o
Links

I hit submit and didn't mean to...

Here's a Cabinet Painting How-To. Brushworks (he posts here) wrote it. I just made it pretty and put it on Squidoo. It used to live someplace else, but I had to move it to Squidoo.

I would choose Cabinet Coat for the melamine cabinets. You just need to clean, sand, clean and Cabinet Coat. I wouldn't prime them.

http://stainmasterpaint.com/viewProd.asp?prodID=180

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushworks Cabinet Painting How-To

o
RE: Is painting plastic cabinet doors a good idea?

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going to find some Cabinet Coat tomorrow!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here