Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to caulk?

Posted by mrsrichards (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 12:51

We have a new porch that we will be painting in the next few days. Since all of our experience is with painting old siding we are new to 'new' structures. How much of the wood needs to be caulked? Do we need to seal up every gap between boards? We live in the midwest where summers are hot and humid and winters are usually below zero temperatures. In particular there are railings with spindals; do we need to seal every area where the spindals meet the railing top and bottoms? If I can figure out how to add a picture I will. Thanks for any and all feedback!

Here is a link that might be useful: porch rail

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to caulk?

Your wood needs to expand and contract, not a good idea to fill w/caulk. If it's the look you don't like try trimming out with shoe or cove moulding. Then, I can't tell from the pics, but make sure your wood is properly sealed.

o

That is exactly what I needed to know, thanks! By properly sealed are you referring to the painting? We are priming first, of coarse. Thanks again for the feeback!

o

I wasn't sure from the photo if it was already stained. Yes, prime then paint. Don't know where you live, make sure no rain in the forecast!!

o

Some joints you caulk and some you do not. Generally speaking, you will caulk where the rail meets the posts but not the top and bottom of each spindle. Remember every gap you caulk has a chance to open up again so this can become maintenance. Also, use good caulk...DAP Dynaflex 230 is the best.

o

Got it; stain when no rain and DAP where the rail meets the posts. I was hoping to hear that we did not have to caulk every nook and cranny. Would have been a good time to invest in the DAP company... Do we want to caulk the area where the posts meet the foor? That's it, no more questions ;) Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Post meets floor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here