Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on quote

Posted by bigds01 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 12:48

So we just got a quote to paint the entire interior of our home (5k above grade), with two coats of BM Aura and patch a crack in a plaster ceiling.

The trim is included in the work, and there is one room that needs a wall paper banner removed. I do not believe that painting the ceilings is included in the work.

The quote was 8500 including paint. He estimates 40-45 gallons, so that makes labor about 6500.

One kicker is they will have the job done before we move in, withing 3 days.

The total number of rooms is 9 rooms, two hallways, 1 foyer, 1 set of steps going up stairs.

Does that sound like a crazy quote?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on quote

40-45 gals paint and no ceilings?

o

That does sound like a lot of paint for nine rooms. I can do the walls in a large room (300 square feet or so) with about two gallons and that's not being stingy with the paint. Multiply that by nine, it would be 18 gallons plus what you need for the hallways, foyer and stairs.

Assuming a couple of your rooms (bathrooms, e.g.) and especially the hallways would be on the low square footage side, it does seem like a lot of paint.

You don't need much paint for trim. A few gallons could probably do a whole house.

Maybe the 40-45 gallons includes primer as well?

o

Maybe the 40-45 gallons includes primer as well?

still to much
even doing the ceilings, still to much

o

too high. get 3 quotes. they will be thousands of dollars apart. OUrs were.
K

o

We got three quotes:

High of 12,600
Guy we went with 10,000
Low bid 9,500

The guy in the middle just seemed like the I don't want to be your friend but I will do well sort of guy. That works for me.

I should mention that this is in Westchester County in NY. They are doing the entire job in 4 days. 2 coats of paint, trim, the entire interior of a 6000 sqft home (5000 above grade)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here