Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladypat1

Paint color What went wrong?

ladypat1
12 years ago

Painted over a medium mint green color with Behr Brown Teepee. It came out looking like a cocoa color with a pinkish tinge. When I put a drop of the paint on the paint chip, it is the right color. The stir stick is the right color. 2 coats did not improve it. What happened? ANd what do I do?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• maybeiloveyou
    12 years ago

Did you put a coat of primer over the green before painting it with the brown? That may be your problem.

• maybeiloveyou
    12 years ago

To fix it, buy a can of tintable primer. The guy at the paint store should be able to tint it to a color that goes with your brown. Paint the wall with the primer, then paint it with the brown. It should come out normal.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Are you looking at the brown on the wall next to an area with green paint? Some browns have a pick undertone, and the contrast with the green could bring out the pink.

Possibly the lighting in the room is throwing off the color. What type of lightbulbs are in the room?

• ladypat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will check the light bulbs, but the paint chip and stir stick are the right color in the bathroom. I painted the whole bathroom, because I,too, thought it might be a reflection from the green paint. Nope. Still was a pink brown. Teepee Brown is supposed to be more of a kaki tan. I did not do a primer.

• maybeiloveyou
    12 years ago

You should do a primer. That's most likely the reason the paint looks off on the wall.

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

What is a primer going to do? Once you have completely covered up the old color, then the color underneath is no longer a factor. The old color will telegraph itself through the new color until you have applied enough coats to completely cover up the old color...most times, this is two coats. A primer will help you to achieve the new color if you tint it towards that color, but this can also be done by just using the new color itself.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

PG (as usual) has hit the most important nail on the head...

Until you have TWO FULL/EQUAL coats on the wall...AND they're adequately dried....your paint will look varied.

>>> What tint-base, and formula is on your Teepee can??

Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

What happened lies in the light & color relationship in that space. Paint chip and stir stick are not the same as a 3-dimensional room. Also, context. I'm guessing that in order to evaluate the quality of the *match* on a chip or stick, you're probably taking it in and out of the room and in to differently lights trying to see it and understand it.

There is something in the spectral distribtution of light beaming in to the space or there is some element in the space that is reflecting and adding to the quality of light in the space.

Either way, beaming or reflecting, there is a wavelength factor from sommewhere messing with the spectral reflectance of the wall color.

And whatever that factor is, it's enhancing the *pinker* aspect of the paint color.

If you have two full coats up, there is nothing about the previous color telegraphing through that would affect the final color to this extent.

It's the color and light relationship and somewhere in the mix is a spectral distribution/reflectance mismatch.

And ya know that's essentially what bona fide color experts , skilled color consultants, know how to do -- they know how to manage all that spectral stuff. They create a partnership between color and light and devise collaboration with contents and context.

What happened is common, but it's not commonly understood. So, you're in good company. As far as what you can do, either live with the color or start over. Find a better paint partner for the quality of light - the atmosphere - you have to work with.

• graywings123
    12 years ago

What happened is common, but it's not commonly understood.

I love that line.

• ladypat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, thank you for all your advice, but I still don't know what to do. Now I am just paranoid that no color will be accurate on those walls. I can't leave it that color though. Pinky cocoa.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Lady-

If you post the formula and tint-base (I inquired above...),
    I can tell you if it's the color IN THE CAN...OR...

....if the hue you're seeing is a product of it's "environment"!

Faron

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths