Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pudleboy

Got a new roof NOW what do I do??

pudleboy
11 years ago

I am in bad need of house trim color advice. I got a new roof and gutters and now what do I do?

My old roof was driftwood color and my house was almond trim.

My new roof color is estate gray and gutters are alcoa pebblestone clay.

I painted 1/2 of a shutter to see if I like it and do not.

What colors would those with a good eye for color suggest.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Gorgeous house, gorgeous new roof but a bit of an issue.

I suspect the old roof/gutter colors were warm with more yellow undertones that *matched* the brick in a somewhat monochromatic manner - which is a typical exterior color scheme. . . monochromatic-like.

The new roof color creates a challenge; even for most color pros. The new roof color created a large spectral gap between the brick color and the roof. The color relationship changed from monochromatic-like to levels of color contrast: 1. The warm/yellow brick to the cool/blue roof. 2. The light value brick to the darker value roof.

To bridge the gap you have to add more color to shore up AND round out the light/warm/yellow to dark/cool/blue color relationship so it becomes a cohesive color scheme instead of a dramatic color relationship of contrasts.

The opportunities to add more color to create a well-rounded color scheme are few on this facade. Just the door and the shutters. Which means you really, really need to nail the right color(s) for both. Landscaping and light fixtures can play supporting roles but the shutter/door color will be key.

That's the issue, the challenge. The solution is another conversation and I need to think about it. Hopefully others will chime in. You also might want to consider hiring someone to help you.

• harry_wild
    11 years ago

Stick with the current color for the shutters and the trim.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Funcolors has succinctly summed up the problem. The new color for the shutters does not seem to take into account the roof color. Maybe you need something in the gray/brown tones?

If this were my house, I would hire a color expert to help me.

• pudleboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the responses especially funcolors.
    When I picked the roof I thought it would come out darker
    My bad. After pondering my predicament I was thinking of sticking with the alcoa sandpebble clay for the trim in order to blend with the gutters. But then the only way to unify it all is to use either a black or blue gray color on the shutters and the garage door to complement the gray on the roof. Any thoughts on this plan?
    I may try color coach on the internet as funcolors suggests.
    Any experience with who to help with color selection?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

I don't know that black or blue gray is the only option... gimme a minute and I'll post back. Need to ponder this one (and I'm BBQing tonight) It could end up rather fabulous if you/we get it right.

Roof color and stain color are tough for everyone - shingles are like wallpaper and tiles and many other components to a house. The sample may show one way, the actual lot you get may be another color and when deployed to scale sh1t happens that no one could foresee.

Paint / color in many, many cases is the glue that pulls it all together. It can be like magic in a can. ;)

• pudleboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again fun colors for your encouragement.
    If needed I could paint the new gutters? I was planning on refinishing the door a golden oak.
    The color I picked for the trim Alcoa pebble stone clay seems to be fighting the roof but not the brick so much. I love the roof but it does not seem to mesh with the brick which to me is a real problem and appears to my surprise mismatched. I mistakenly thought any color would go with a brick exterior. Am I wrong?
    I hope your BBQ went well fun colors. You gave me some hope that all is not as bad as I feared.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Staining the door instead of painting is the deciding factor and sets the direction. It's good you can stain, many have to paint. Makes it easier, actually. I have an idea - simple, classic. I'll post a virtual in a bit.

Brick, wood, metal all surfaces/substrates have inherent color(s). The inherent color of the brick, for example, is no different than if it were painted siding. Again, using the brick as an example, it's what's called a permanent known or non-transient exterior element. And it's from the permanent, non-transient elements that you build exterior color schemes. Because roofs, gutters, shutters, doors, etc. may come and go but you'll never replace the brick.

It would have been a better plan to consider the unique and inherent color of the brick and coordinate the roof color with it. But that's not what happened so what can ya do except find a way to make it work. With color, there's always a way to make it work.

BBQ went well, TY for asking. I live on a mountain and because of our view we can see two firework displays from our backyard. No one ever declines invites to our 4th of July parties. :)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

SW Inkwell could be a good solution - it's black with a definitive blue undertone. Replace light fixtures with black ones, don't know what the garage door looks like but a stained wood door could be sweet. Here's the virtual w/palette.

• pudleboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow fun colors that looks very nice.
    Thanks so much for the picture it really helps to visualize.
    My garage door is metal unfortunately and can not be stained.
    What do you suggest for the dormers and the wood trim under the gutters , around the front door ands around the metal garage to?
    The fan on top of the center window has thin strips painted almond.
    The 1/2 circle windows also have small painted stips between them.
    Would painting the fan and these strips white together with the dor frame be too many colors?
    I know I don.t want it to be too busy with a lot more contrasts.
    Ws

• pudleboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fun colors,
    I went outside and tried to visualize what you have suggested and agree that would look very nice.
    I could paint the garage door the white/gray color on the SW palette instead of the stained color. The Fan over the center windo and the wood srips would be painted white/gray. Under the gutters would be the gray you suggest from the pallete. This gets away from the monochromatic scheme I have had and is a little bolder but sweet.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

All the trim that can be painted should be the same almond/white/gray color - whatever that might be. I'd also do the garage door in that color too.

You can have the garage door faux finished to match the stained wood door. I know faux is four letter word and not popular but if you hire the right person to do it, you won't be able to tell it's metal and not wood.

But painting it one color will work too.

• pudleboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Funcolors!!!
    For taking time away from your busy holiday and the photoshopping my picture.
    With your direction and inspiration I think I have solved my color dilemma.

I went to the SW store today and poured over the colors matching samples of the roof and the brick. The colors which are permanent or not transient elements as explained by you.

With these samples I was able to select colors tweaking your scheme. I picked Cyberspace SW 7076 and Site White SW 7070(not a cool name but a cool color.

Will use the Cyberspace (a black) for the shutters.
    Site white for all the trim including the large garage door. The sandpebble clay gutters will be repainted site white to match the rest of the trim. The trim boards between the windows will also be painted site white.

Cyberspace and site white all come from the same palette starting with black going through grays and ending in site white.

Instead of staining the door golden oak I have changed it to walnut a darker color.
    What are your thoughts on this plan?
    So many thanks helping sort this out.

• pudleboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Missed sending the colors

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Cyberspace is ok - it's not super dark and it's not a complex black but if it looks good, then it looks good.

Site white is a mistake because it doesn't relate to the brick or really anything else. Just because it's on the same strip as Cyberspace doesn't mean it will naturally contribute to a harmonized palette.

Instead look at SW's Creamy or Dover White - you want it to be like you could find a spec of the trim color in the brick.

Woodtone darker sounds good. Just make sure it has a snidge of a lean to orange. Brown is technically defined as dark orange.

If the shutters are not wood, you need to check the manufacturer's specs for LRV. Some exterior components can not be painted a dark color than its original. A darker color can cause the product to fail, warp, sometimes even melt.

• pudleboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fun colors thanks so much for the feedback .
    I will tweak my tweak some more and follow your suggestion to use creamy or Dover white. In your opinion would you prefer inkwell to cyberspace?
    I know nothing about black colors.
    The shutters are 1993 vintage I am not familiar with lrv, what does that stand for? The door is fiberglass so will need a jelcoat stain. What stain color do you suggest. Thanks again for your eye for color it really is an art few of us have.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Yeah, Inkwell is a better choice over Cyberspace, imo.

Are the shutters wood or no? If they are a high-quality vinyl product you'll probably be okay. Plan "B" for replacing shutters if the dark color makes them warp might be a good plan.

Stain colors are so complicated. I think you're on the right track with darker walnut, etc. If you like it with the brick when you see a sample, then go with it.

LRV is Light Reflectance Value and it's kinda a long story. Google it for more info. If you have SW color chips, you'll notice there's a LRV notation for every color.

• pudleboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fun colors The shutters are some type of plastic.
    Not sure what material they are made from.
    I will try and find out from the builder if possible.
    I have a feeling they will be ok as many shutters
    Were painted black when built.
    Perhaps not as deep a black as the inkwell.
    In your picture it appears you left the gutters
    Sand pebble clay. In your opinion should they be painted
    Creamy or Dover white or just left as is?
    Thanks again for your color decorating talent.
    Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

No problem - it's an interesting color conundrum to play with. :)

Older shutters are often better quality and can handle a range of colors. Cheaper ones are the issue. LRV of Cyberspace and Inkwell aren't that different to make a case for one color over the other.

Honestly, I wouldn't mess with the gutters. Creamier trim color, the color of the brick and a brown-orange door all tie together with the sand pebble clay. It will all "go" together just fine.

Distributing some of the heavy black/blue/gray from the roof via shutters, fixtures, accessories, etc. creates balance. The color story or family with the brick, door, shutter, trim and gutters is balanced too. Juxtaposed, the two are a cohesive, technically correct and balance exterior color scheme. It should work.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Oops. It should read:

The color story or family with the brick, door, trim and gutters is balanced too. Juxtaposed, the two are a cohesive, technically correct and balanced exterior color scheme. It should work.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Funcolors, I just have to remark on what a fabulous job you did addressing this challenge! I thought it would be an impossible task, pulling together such disparate colors, and not only did you find a "workable/acceptable" solution, you created a truly beautiful palette for this house! It looks very intentional, not like a "default" option. I'm truly impressed. This house will now have a lovely flow of color and texture. An exterior that could have really missed the mark, may now become the prettiest house on the block, thanks to your vision!

• gmp3
    11 years ago

Wow that looks great! I love it. I am so inspired, my house is very similar, but doesn't have shutters. i may have to add some!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Thank you. :) Stinky-G kind words and compliments are much appreciated. Garden Webbers are very talented and know their stuff, so it means a lot coming from you!

Took me a lil bit to think it over. I'm always suspect of those designers/consultants who say they know exactly what color, what to do as soon as they see a room or house. Because I don't think you can instantly know. If for no other reason than there are always at least three solutions to every color challenge. And it requires time to define and determine.

The other example to takeaway from this is you do not have to narrowly align (or *match*) undertones or color temperature. Color relationship and true color design is about contrast as much as alignment. Which one is better depends on each unique room or house.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

pudleboy - It looks like your house is on it's way to being gorgeous! If you don't want to go the faux-painted wood route, you might consider investing in a new garage door as a down-the-road home-improvement. DH got Clopay Gallery style garage doors for our garage in the Ultra-grain finish (faux painted wood grain on metal doors). I didn't think the upgrade was necessary at the time, but neighbors and even random passers-by comment on the beautiful doors. Our doors look pretty similar to the ones in the link below. Something similar would really set your garage off and tie in nicely with your front door.

funcolors, I can't believe you did it! Beautiful job. :) Any chance you can chime in on the Home Decorating forum ''Is this door color wrong?'' thread and give Changingitup some advice? I was having fun contributing, but I'm out of my league. :p

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultra Grain Doors from Clopay

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

TY, Jessica. Wonderful link and alternative to a real wood door, which can be a lot of maintenance. I did see that thread. And, yes, the door color is wrong. Very wrong. ;). Individually all lovely colors they just don't work together.

• pudleboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funcolors I went back to SW store. I compared the Creamy SW 7012 and the Dover White SW 6385 to the brick. As you suggested the Site White does nothing to bring balance. Whereas the creamy and dover you picked make it all come together. How did you know that? Very amazing. Either color would work but I think the dover white pulls color from the brick a little better. The difference is very subtle. In the sun the creamy is closer to the color of the mortar and the dover is closer to the brick. Probably go with the Dover. A touch more creamier to me.

Funcolors above you touched on putting a faux finish on the textured aluminum garage door. What product would you suggest to accomplish it. I would like to explore that possibilty. Jessica had an alternative suggetion to replace the door with a ultra grain clopay simulated wood door.
    With regard to the front door I am leaning towards Walnut.
    You recommended I need an orange color to make things work.
    Please see the attached link for a sample of the walnut color. What is your advice regarding the best color to work with.

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/stain-colors/interior-stains/gel-stain/

• pudleboy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Funcolors I cannot thank you enough for your brilliant ideas. Without your assistance I am sure I would have erred on the Safe side and the result would have been OK but routine and run of the mill.

Your approach requires some bold thinking in the use of color which I do not have. Despite the fact that I thought I had made a mistake with the roof color and did not know how to recover from it you showed me a way.
    Very ingenious solution on your part.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

You're quite welcome. There is always a solution - or at least a way to make it better - with color. Especially exterior.

Funcolors I went back to SW store. I compared the Creamy SW 7012 and the Dover White SW 6385 to the brick. As you suggested the Site White does nothing to bring balance. Whereas the creamy and dover you picked make it all come together. How did you know that?

I know Site White well. It's a pale gray - it's not white and a pale gray wouldn't relate to the brick in any way. It relates to the roof but we want to make choices that creates visual bridges and enhances color relationships with the brick, not the roof. You have a cool, neutral color tolerance/preference and those are the colors you gravitate toward. Site White is a similar kind of color choice as the roof color that started the whole thing. Dover and Creamy are very close, I think you see color on broader terms now and can make the call as to which one, Creamy or Dover, relates to the brick the best. Dover is a great ext. trim color.

Funcolors above you touched on putting a faux finish on the textured aluminum garage door. What product would you suggest to accomplish it. I would like to explore that possibility.

That would be up to the pro finisher you hire to do the work. I honestly don't know because I don't do finishes. It's also similar to regular paint product choices. I don't ever tell a painter what products to use exterior. As long as it's a top brand and best grade I make color work on their product terms. Because the pro painter is the one who has to work with the product and guarantee the job. Not me.

You recommended I need an orange color to make things work.
    Please see the attached link for a sample of the walnut color. What is your advice regarding the best color to work with.

If I were there to do it for you, I'd have the SW guys mix a custom stain. Their instruction would be to mix up something that looked as if it were comprised of 50% Walnut and 50% Cherrywood. Something that looked like their SW Wood Classics Warm Chestnut or Cinnamon.

But you're on you're own and Walnut is a perfectly fine choice. It does have the right undertone - might be a little too dark brown. . . but I'm being picky and a perfectionist.