Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acurioushomeowner

best primer for old cedar shingles?

CuriousHomeOwner
10 years ago

We just bought our first home and the garage is covered with cedar shingles, which had been painted a blue color. The paint, especially on the south side is peeling off badly. We decided to paint since the shingles have been painted before and have chosen a 100% acrylic latex paint. Now we're trying to decide on a primer to put on after we carefully pressure wash the paint off. We've considered an oil like Zinsser Cover Stain to control any tannin bleed (is this a concern for old cedar or just new?), but have also read that the new latex primers are much more breathable, better at not cracking over the years, and just overall much improved. The garage is old, not sure how old, but the house is 1959. So, my question is: Is there a latex paint that would work well for us or should we go with an oil? I would very much appreciate help on brands you'd recommend. I've read that many of the newer oil formulas made to comply with environmental regulations aren't as good as the old ones and am confused about all the options. Please help! I'd prefer not to spend much more than $30 a gallon and between $20 and $30 would be great.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors