Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
paint has thickened - can i fix it?

Posted by metromom (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 10:48

I have an almost-full gallon of paint that was stored with the top slightly loose and it seems to have thickened -- there is no skin or coating on the top, but the consistency of the paint is thicker than it used to be, meaning that it does not roll or brush smoothly. Is there anything I can do to salvage it? Is this what paint thinner is for?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: paint has thickened - can i fix it?

Stirring it should help. Add some paint thinner if the paint is oil based. If it is latex, use water. Add small amounts until the consistency is good; you don't want the paint too thin. You may also want to strain the paint trough a paint strainer or some old nylons as snots and chunks develop when the paint sits for long periods of time.

o
RE: paint has thickened - can i fix it?

"as snots and chunks develop"

I dunno why but seeing that typed out made me giggle. I'm so immature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here