Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flat Paint for Bathroom Ceiling?

Posted by kendog2 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 10:47

I'm re-painting our master bathroom ceiling. I previously painted it with Behr primer (before I knew that Zinsser is better) and a separate coat of satin paint which still looked brand new.

I had some of the Behr primer left so I used that. There wasn't enough to do the whole ceiling so I finished with Zinsser 123. I want to paint the ceiling a navy blue color. I already have navy paint but it is a flat sheen. I prefer the look of flat but I usually wouldn't use it in a bathroom. Should I use the flat paint or buy another gallon of flat enamel paint?

I'm also wondering if the Behr primer will be good enough if I'm painting over it with flat paint. Should I re-primer the whole ceiling with Zinsser 123?

The bathroom has a high ceiling, a window and an exhaust fan. We live in a high desert climate so although the bathroom steams up after a long shower, moisture dissipates quickly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flat Paint for Bathroom Ceiling?

I used Benjamin Moore Aura Bath & Spa flat paint for the bathroom ceiling.

o

I've used flat latex Behr paint in multiple bathrooms (one even had a broken fan and no window - gross!) and never ran into any issues. I've used it with and without primer. I know a lot of paint pros might balk at my approach but I've yet to run into any problems.

o

Thank you Geoffrey and Lantana. Benjamin Moore is great stuff but I guess I'll go ahead and use the Behr flat since I already have it. I love flat paint. The worst that can happen is that I'll have to paint over it.

o

Usually flat paint in a bathroom on the ceiling will be just fine, as long as the ceiling is high like you said, we will use it.

o
ideal paint for bathroom ceiling

Please help. This is my second attempt at getting this bathroom right. Walls & ceiling all re-spakled so that it is flat (w/o texture). I applied 2 coats of Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3, and let it cure for 7 days. Now the hard part - what to paint the ceiling with? I have Behr Premium Plus Ultra , satin (supposed to have anti-microbial, stain & water resistance) but does not say 'ceiling paint'. I used this paint on prior attempt, w/o the Zinsser, but worried that I could be using something more ideal. Any suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Home depot

o

Behr Premium Plus Ultra will perform just like any other paint. Use it and stop letting others create paranoia about paint brands.

o

I will do so. However, some research has led to a product by Sheetrock called First Coat. The idea is that it will help diffuse light on a smooth ceiling and thus hide any slight imperfections. I was able to order it online in the 1 gal bucket. The issue is that I have a bathroom with a window that casts light on the average height ceiling. Although I have spent a lot of time getting the ceiling as good as possible, it could always be better. I will post the results.

o

You must that paint or you can use the 123painting pros, blue color will look good in bathroom, you must use the left paint in your bathroom don't buy the another one.

Here is a link that might be useful: painters

This post was edited by LuisHinkle on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 9:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here