Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcweary_gw

Nicotine Lives Here! Best Interior Paint Finish

pcweary
12 years ago

I am planning on having the kitchen painted and will probably use BM. So far, the cabinets are done in Aura Satin and they wipe down beautifully but everyone seems to advise the eggshell finish for the walls. Personally, with the experience of nicotine needing to be cleaned from the walls frequently, I cannot picture an eggshell working for me. Any advice for walls and ceiling?

Comments (6)

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Many people may argue with me, but in THIS case...
    I'd stay with a Satin for walls as well!!!

For frequent washings, Satin does better than Eggshell.

Knowing what I know NOW...I couldn't in good faith recommend Eggshell here. It just won't do as well in the long-run.

Make SURE those walls are CLEANED AND RINSED.....WELL.

Faron

• tomkinley
    12 years ago

Eggshell finishing is only a slight hint of shine or gloss, it's good for walls and holds up better with cleaning than a flat finish paint. The flat finish or wall paint is also use for your kitchen wall. This type paint finish is usually used on interior walls. It's especially good if you have to cracks, or other imperfections, as this finish does not reflect light. Some of flat paints are washable today.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toronto Painters, Toronto Painting, Painting Toronto

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

I agree with Faron because (these days) nicotine is not within the standard considerations of typical, every day substances that needs to be cleaned off walls.

Washable matte means a dirty fingerprint, or exploding juice box, or muddy-dog-shake will wipe off the wall without affecting the finish.

Nicotine is a whole other ballgame and I agree satin would be the better fit.

• pcweary
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Faron and Funcolors for your input. Your opinions are well received on this forum and I am glad that you have confirmed what I thought was more practical. Painters, decorators,friends all said matte or eggshell to be "aesthically" correct. I needed an honest answer, not one to play the trend, and I got it from both of you. Thanks again.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

PCWeary-

Very gracious of you!
    You're welcome...

Separate note-
    Read all of Fun-C's posts that you can find....SERIOUSLY.
    You'll learn a TON of things relating to Interiors, colors, color/space-theory, etc., etc....
    We're lucky to have someone of her caliber frequenting this forum!!!

I like your phrase "not one to play the trend..."!
    In some situations, that's EXACTLY what you have to do for your walls to survive "Real Life"!

I forgot your reference to your ceilings as well...OOPS!
    * In YOUR case...I'd consider a GOOD Eggshell for up there.
    * Is your ceiling smooth, or popcorn?
    * Since nicotine gets on EVERYTHING, you need a bit of sheen to have ANY chance of cleaning it!

Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Oh my gosh, I am blushing. Thank you, Faron and PCWeary.

Proud to be part of the community here, very grateful for all my online paint and color friends.

I brag about the Garden Web Paint Forum every chance I get because there are some mighty smart and creative folks who contribute. Like our Faron!

Only down side is every now and then we're all busy at the same time and don't get to visit and posts go unanswered. But if you can hit it when the whole gang is here, there really isn't another forum that I know of that offers the caliber of expert and experienced DIY information like the Garden Web Paint Forum.

Hands down, best team on the interwebs.