Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marial1214

LIfted Tape

marial1214
11 years ago

We got a problem of lifted tape in every room.

I got quote from a painter who says that's easy to fix, no need to replace it. You just put product under and over and then smooth it out. He can save me 2500 if he is correct.

The remodeling dude comes in and says " oh that needs to be replaced in order to be done correctly and his quote is 2500 more.

Who is correct? Do painters routinely fix lifted tape and paint over it and everything lasts or is it better to rip it down and put new tape up?

Comments (5)

• Faron79
    11 years ago

Hi Marial!

What EXACT tape is being used here?
    Is it a "Painters'-tape "?
    Who applied the tape?

I'm not sure what the painter means by "put some product under & over...."?
    They MAY be referring to painter's-caulk, which can be used to seal the tape-edge, etc.

Faron

• marial1214
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's the tape that is lining hoRizontally on top of walls where the wall meets the white ceiling. It's lifting in all rooms but only the bottom part of the tape lifts, and only in certain spots. Painter wants to repair the tape that isn't too bad by putting spackle under the tape and over it. The remodeler dude wants to rip it off and place new stuff. This tape I'm told is paper.

• Faron79
    11 years ago

D'oh....!!!

I was assuming painters'-tape for some reason!
    Sorry!!

Yes, if the "Joint tape" is lifting, it has to be reset down with joint-compound behind & above the tape, troweled smooth, and sanded. Two coats of this may be needed, depending how bad the adjacent wall areas are.

Subsequent wall-texturing may need to be applied, then primed. In this case, if the painter is good, they should be able to do this on a "spot" basis.

The remodeler has a point too though...
    Other areas may fail, and redoing the tape is also a reasonable fix.

Faron

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

DANGER! DANGER! Be careful with any fix in this situation that does not involve taking it down and putting up new.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

DANGER! DANGER! Be careful with any fix in this situation that does not involve taking it down and putting up new.

I agree and as a painter, I can do some of that but it is better left to a real drywall guy, preferably not the original installer.