Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_kaiser_gw

Best Paint For Trim

mike_kaiser_gw
10 years ago

I need to paint some previously painted wood trim. Any suggestions for the best [type/brand] of paint to use. Ideally I'd like something that leaves as smooth a finish as possible. I think an alkyd might be my best choice but I don't think I've painted with one before, anything I should be concerned with?

I'd prefer a semi-gloss and the color will be white (if that even matters).

Comments (9)

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

My go-to trim paint right now is Benjamin Moore Aura. I don't think I have applied alkyd paint to trim for at least 10 years.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, I should have said interior trim.

There's more than one white? Oh, my. ;-)

Normally I eschew government mandates but I think we need a law that says that every paint manufacturer must offer a "standard" white paint. That way I can be assured the my new can of white matches my last can of white.

Aura? Never used it before, anything I should know?

While we're on the subject, I'm thinking about a new paint brush. My usual "go to" brush is an 1 1/2" angled sash whose manufacturer escapes me at the moment but it's two words, first starts with a L. It's held up well but maybe it's time for retirement.

I don't like Purdy's Dale "rattail" handle. Glide would be better but I'm not seeing a lot in a 1 1/2".

This post was edited by mike_kaiser on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 8:11

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

I have used the new acrylic/alkyd "Advance" line from Ben Moore and I found it to perform as claimed, with the hardness and smoothness of oil in a water-clean-up formulation.
    Not a direct comparison,but I found Aura more difficult to apply because it starts to dry so fast.
    Casey

• bullydosmom
    10 years ago

Just finished this with Benjamin Moore Aura satin finish, it does have a lovely sheen to it. I used a Wooster polyester-nylon brush that was suggested here. I used a 2 inch angle brush. No brush marks that I can detect:)

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Very nice job bullydosmom. I'm impressed you did it all by brush. I wonder if the Wooster velour small roller would allow the same fine look.

mike, yes, lots of white trim colors by all paint manufacturers. Try to research a few in one brand-talk with the store decorator-as you need to decide if you want white/white, or a white with a slight gray undertone or yellow/creamier undertone. A LOT depends on lighting in your house as to how the final product will appear.

I'm attaching a past GW discussion on whites and trim. GL.

Here is a link that might be useful: white trim:

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I see there are lots of fans of Benjamin Moore on this forum. A great paint years ago when other paints were not so good, but many paints have improved their quality recently for the do-it-yourselfers. I don't see any reason to use an oil based alkyd paint in a home.

Don't know if you live in a home or a mansion, but I've used Lowes interior enamel paint, in Semi Gloss, for interior trim. It can be purchased off the shelf in, I believe, both White and Super White without being mixed special, and I have had great results. Easy to apply, forgiving if you are not a professional painter, & it stands up to being cleaned.

As an interior designer I have heard complaints from professional painters asked to use Aura, just like they complained years ago when BM came out with 'Cashmere' paint. Good luck.

• gfjbthllr
    10 years ago

What ever you use for alkyd or oil base similar to the same get some boiled linseed oil cut it 50% with gum turpentine only then cut your paint with 25% of this solution not only will you have a nice flow and smooth surface but then your paint job will last a minimum of 20 years plus no mold or mildew cause of the gum turpentine and boiled linseed oil only not raw go for it I have done this for over 30 years with gloss,semi gloss,satin,&regular paints with no failure afetr 25 plus easr of application to prove my results based on the input of my elders that are 80 to 90 years old and I am 57

• gfjbthllr
    10 years ago

sorry I thought you were talking about exterior work