Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Satin Paint Over Semi Gloss

Posted by ryuiuc (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 9, 09 at 8:47

Hello. Recently (1 week ago) had my kitchen painted in a semi gloss finish using Sherwin Williams Duration (Acrylic Latex) and have found it to be much too shiny. I am looking to tone it down a bit by going over it with a couple more coats of the same color in a satin finish. Ive read and had a couple people advise me to lightly sand the existing walls before repainting but Ive also been told that the acrylic latex will adhere just fine to the semi gloss and not to worry about it. Also given that its only 7 days cured while it takes up to say 30 days to reach full hardness, sanding may not be necessary. I am obviously looking to avoid doing unncessary work but I also want a good job and not have to worry about peeling or the previous sheen showing through somehow. What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Satin Paint Over Semi Gloss

I would sand it, but only because it is probably an 8 minute job. You will probably be okay without sanding.

o

Thanks, I guess I probably will or else Ill go crazy wishing I did for no reason.

o

Dont sand !!! it will only gum up and give you a rough finish.
Latex paints take 30 days to cure before sanding is an option.

You will be fine going directly over with a satin. Once coat will work but 2 will give you a more uniform sheen.

o

DIY'ers and painters alike sand between coats every day all over the world and the paint is not cured. If the sandpaper clogs, just bang it out and continue sanding.

o

I would sand it. I like to sand between all coats, I think it results in a nicer finish (I don't like a lot of texture).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here