Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint drips

Posted by organic_bassetlvr (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 8:33

I painted my new front door using brushes meant for oil based instead of latex. Now I have drips at the very top and you can see the brush strokes. I've only done one coat. Can you help me? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint drips

The type of bristle affects brush longevity more than the look of the finish. It might be hard to clean a china bristle brush used in latex paint whereas oil paint can ruin a nylon brush. That said, it is difficult to avoid leaving brush marks with a cheap brush.

Drips and brush marks are often marks of inexperienced painters. You might just need some practice. Some people, however, never get it. It might be genetic. My wife and her father painted a railing at our house. She wanted to move on to an interior room. After seeing their mess, I had to be rather firm in my opinion of their suitability for the next project.

o

ionized,
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I think I missed getting the painting gene. I did look up "How to paint a room" & found lots of tips which may or may not help. The door came out ok after the second coat-I lightly sanded the drips(before 2nd coat) & while not perfect I don't think anyone but me will notice. Thanks again,
Susan

o

I always use foam rollers on doors. Much easier than brushing and no brush marks, though there are those who like the look of a brushed-on finish for a door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here