Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosyjennifer

Paint and window colors for 1946 stucco house

rosyjennifer
11 years ago

Hi. We are finally painting our house and getting rid of our cracked and drafty windows. I need help with house colors and have a window dilemma.

When we redid the kitchen we replaced 2 windows with dark bronze exterior trim to match existing dark brown window trim. These 2 windows are barely visible from the road. One you can see is on the bumpout to the left of the recessed front door and the other is hidden to the left of the bumpout. My husband wants to use the Anderson terratone color on all other windows instead of dark bronze because it is 30% less and we have to do 20 windows. He said no one will notice the different color. Maybe... LOL Not sure if dark windows is the best choice - contractor said, "everyone does white - do white" but I have a brown roof and brown trim elsewhere.

Questions:

What would you do if this were your house?

Should we do canvas or white windows and paint the 2 dark bronze windows?

If we do terratone, what paint color goes with terratone?

How can we add character to our ugly house? Shutters? Window trim? (Can I do trim with brick sills?) Window boxes?

My neighborhood has traditionally colored houses: cream, white, red, blue, yellow, and brick. My house and the neighbor's is the only stucco - theirs is cream with brown trim.

Thank you very much for your help - my indecision is driving me crazy. : ) Jen

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Andersen sells their window paint colors. Spray can is, like, $30. I'd seriously consider the Terratone option because 30% is a lot. Spray paint the two windows to match - do it now. While you're involved in the window thing. Don't put it off and then one day find out mis-matched windows could hurt resale and then you end up having to paint them anyway. Plus, if it were my house it'd bug me if they didn't all match.

Get the new windows (I think a darker tone will look better than white) and then choose a paint color. It's a lot of color area. The good news is with a dark brown roof, trim, terratone windows you have A LOT of options for body color.

Might want to start with your favorite color (not blue)because you truly have many color options. After new windows and paint maybe take a look at updating the landscaping. At that point you may feel it's far more attractive than you thought with character to spare.

Just color can do that.

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your reply, funcolors. My contractor said he could paint the 2 windows in the terratone color, so I will take your advice. He also suggested the Anderson 100 windows in dark bronze for the basement windows - bushes hide most of these windows- and take the savings to keep with the dark bronze in the main windows.

I'm looking at BM Sandy Hook Gray (a grayish green) with sailcloth (linen white) on the recessed parts of the windows for a little pop. I'm also looking at Valley Forge tan (a cool gray). The ancient 1/2 dead azaleas are going, too. : )

Thanks again!

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your reply, funcolors. My contractor said he could paint the 2 windows in the terratone color, so I will take your advice. He also suggested the Anderson 100 windows in dark bronze for the basement windows - bushes hide most of these windows- and take the savings to keep with the dark bronze in the main windows.

I'm looking at BM Sandy Hook Gray (a grayish green) with sailcloth (linen white) on the recessed parts of the windows for a little pop. I'm also looking at Valley Forge tan (a cool gray). The ancient 1/2 dead azaleas are going, too. : )

Thanks again!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

I'm looking at BM Sandy Hook Gray (a grayish green) with sailcloth (linen white) on the recessed parts of the windows for a little pop.

That sounds lovely - I like!

• dretutz
    11 years ago

Sandy Hook Gray would look great on your house with the updated windows. Depending on your exposure and weather, I would be tempted to do awnings on only the three windows that look to be getting the sun (right side of the photo). A darker gray would really look nice (but it depends on how much sun that gets).

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions, dretutz. : ) I do love dark gray, but wonder how that would look with my chocolate brown roof and dark brown windows. Since the windows are recessed in the stucco, there's no trim to paint a lighter color. Maybe I'll go look on houzz to see if I can find what you mean.

I did a big test patch of Sandy Hook gray and boy was it green! Sort of sickly pastel gray green. I think all the green light through my oak trees really changed the color. Even the Sailcloth took on a strong green tone.

I tried to go with a taupe w/o any green and tried Valley Forge Tan and it looked lavender taupe. Not sure what to do now. Paid $270 to a color consultant to come out for these color suggestions. sigh.

Terratone window color matches BM color Texas Leather almost exactly, so I'm off tomorrow to Ben. Moore to see if I can get some help with Texas Leather as a starting point.

Any other suggestions? Thank you!!!

• kimmccook
    6 years ago

Painted my stucco/red brick/Cedar house with BM 'aged beige'. I found that the stucco alters the colors tremendously. Tried sooo many colors. Go to home depot and spend $3 for their samples instead of BM. They can color match. Good luck