Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Painting laminate cabinets

karyn
10 years ago

We have two areas where dark green laminate just has to go - an outdoor BBQ (covered lanai so no rain exposure) and a small bath. Painting the BBQ to white/light, and the bath is still undecided - maybe wood-like finish.

From what I've read, cleaning and light sanding will help the paint adhere, and we will obviously have to use a stain blocking primer to go from dark to light - though I am concerned about the outdoor area since we just moved to FL and it's ridiculously humid 10 months a year.

1. For the BBQ area - will interior paint be OK or do I need to go exterior only? (Hopefully water based) - or something else?

2. Laminate already has a slight texture - bumpy roller marks would not look very good - so do I just use a brush and go with horizontal strokes? Or take it all apart and use spray cans, buy a compressor/sprayer setup - or hire a paint shop (at which point might as well just replace the cabinets)?

3. I'm thinking of tiling the actual outdoor countertops - unless I can find a hard/epoxy coat paint on stone look material that can endure the heat and humidity.

Other suggestions welcome!

This post was edited by karyn on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 9:33

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH