Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gableandchairs

What color should we paint the front door?

gableandchairs
12 years ago

Option 1:

Option 2:

Front of the house:

or should we go with a different color? I'm open to suggestions! The siding is painted BM Silver Lake and we are need to decide if we want to paint or stain the cedar columns on the front porch. Any suggestions?

Comments (16)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Of the two reds, I would go with the lighter one. I wonder whether a blue door would make the siding look more blue or more gray.

Post this on the Home Decorating forum for more responses.

• domesticah
    12 years ago

Hi, love the color picked, very nice. Very similar to the house in the link below. Love this blue door -- and I would not have imagined these colors together until after I saw this picture. Looks very nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue/gray combo

• gableandchairs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We'll try a shade of blue to see what color it brings out in the siding. Thanks for the link- it's a lovely house!

• Faron79
    12 years ago

MORE importantly...
    What kinda prep are ya doing?!

Faron
    (TOTALLY optional drool-worthy doors to look at here, link below!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out THESE doors and colors!

• gableandchairs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

faron79-I love the doors in your link! What prep would you recommend? The painter said it would take half a day of sanding the front door. We had considered buying a new door. The cost will be about the same because of all the labor involved. But we kinda like the old door. There's not much else left of the old house.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

Old vs. New...

There-in lies the rub!

Good new doors are pretty energy-efficient, assuming they're weatherstripped good!
    Old doors often have a neat character about them!

If He's priming and sanding, that's good prep.
    Hopefully the door will be off for painting?

What EXACT paint and sheen are you using??
    (Hopefully at least a Satin?!?!)

* Wait as long as possible to close the door for the night!!!
    * Lightly dust the weatherstripping (NOT THE DOOR!) with some talcum-powder, baking soda...or even flour!
    * This prevents the door's new paint from blocking to the W/S under pressure before it's cured. It's also the same reason you dust a cake-pan!!
    * Full cure-out MAY be a MONTH. Keep W/S lightly dusted until then!

Faron

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I like the maroon, unless it is the kind of paint that fades to a weird purple.
    Casey

• gableandchairs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

faron- thanks for the tip about dusting the weatherstripping! We used SW Duration Satin finish on the siding. Is that ok for the front door?
    Casey- I never thought about what color it might fade too. Does paint tend to fade to it's undertone?
    We are going to try a bluish color next.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I think the fade potential comes from two things; whether the color is from natural earth pigments or chemical pigments (earth is the most stable) Where synthetic colorant is mixed with earth pigments is probably where the biggest surprises can happen.
    And is the vehicle of the paint itself is of the highest quality, is will have more UV blockers and not subject the colorant to as much exposure. The UV resistance fades over time, but front doors seem to get recoated on an accelerated schedule anyway.
    My anecdote is from the next town over; they painted their imposing brick Victorian city hall a dark wine red, and it has now faded to a dusty plum !
    Casey

• pauli12
    12 years ago

I still cannot figure out how to post photos on the site. I have tried many times. But when I saw your house I had to send you think link to a photo of mine. They look very similar, don't you think. I thought it was cool. My door isn't painted yet, so I am deciding too.

• robinst
    12 years ago

I like option 1 best.

• randita
    12 years ago

I like Option 1 best as well, but I also can imagine a deep blue.

• tomkinley
    12 years ago

I also like the maroon color. Your house looks so great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toronto Bathroom Renovations

• gableandchairs
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pauli12- I'd love to see a picture of your house!
    My husband is leaning towards option 1. Not sure if we'll try a blue or not. My mom thinks white like the trim will be the best option.

• baileyandbella
    12 years ago

I love two colors for doors, rich red or black. I painted mine black a few years ago.

• wolfgang80
    12 years ago

I like both colours; I can't say that one would look better than the other. The house looks charming enough to work with a slew of front door colours. I can see yellow, orange/persimmon/poppy or navy all working nicely.
    Not being able to see all the columns and the entire front elevation, I would paint them white like the windows.