Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davisgard

Primer in shed

davisgard
16 years ago

I just had a shed built, and I want to paint the floor and shelves. (I'm going to use porch paint.) It's bare wood, and first I will prime. My question is should I use an exterior or interior primer? The wood is all inside--it won't be exposed to weather. On the other hand, the shed is uninsulated so it will get hot (really hot) and cold (not so much--I'm in California).

Comments (10)

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Hello Davis,
    Check your Porch & Floor paints' instructions...
    ACE's P&F paints don't need a "floor" primer on wood. Just the first coat slightly thinned with water, then the 2nd coat is undiluted. It's interior/exterior too.

* On clean/sound wood, it does a good job!
    * You could use the P&F paint for the whole thing if desired.
    * If not, use the traditional "priming & 2 topcoats" approach for walls/trim.

Thanks!
    Faron

• PRO
    Lynch Home Services
    16 years ago

I don't know how anyone could suggest using ACE paint- for ANYTHING, especially if you're a professional ! (But I just read Faron's page and understand why he reccommends it.)
    If I were you I would stain the floors, this way it will NEVER peel or chip, it just fades and then recoat it in a couple of years when it gets worn. And DON'T buy it from ACE ! Go to a real paint store and pick up some Cabot stain, in the yellow cans, or Sikkens- they're the best stains out there ! I'm a 15-yr professional painter and I ALWAYS try to avoid painting floors, eventually there's problems with peeling/chipping and then you have to deal with it constantly. Staining floors is the way to go- no peeling...EVER !

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Happy 4th Lynch & Davisgard!
    I do have to disagree with some comments though...

(We DO happen to be a professional paint store. We purposely don't carry "contractor-lines" however, because they're more trouble than they're worth)

* Yes, where I work sells ACE-Royal (ACE's top-line, Ralph-Lauren, & C2 (You won't find C2 in more than ~50 U.S. stores...mid-$40's/gal...TOP-shelf stuff!)

>>> I agree with you on Sikkens & Cabot!!
    * We also have Cabot, Sikkens, & Penofin.
    * We go thru a LOT of Sikkens...not as much Cabot.
    * Assuming proper prep, I'll put ACE's P&F against anyone's. We also have floor-coatings from Drylock, & Insl-x; epoxies & conventional.
    * There's long-time painters up here who swear by ACE...and MANY, MANY loyal clients.
    * We just got another plaque from ACE...just cracked the TOP 50 NATIONALLY. Last year was well into the top 100.
    * So, I feel, I've got some experience (& volume) behind me.
    * Just mixed up a $1,000+ order for a home...1/3 ACE, 1/3 Ralph-Lauren, & 1/3 C2. So far, they're very pleased with everything.

I'll phrase it this way...
    "There's a lot of good brands out there. We have 3 of them."

Happy 4th Everyone!!!!!
    Faron

• davisgard
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! I should have mentioned--I've already bought the paint (it's Kelly Moore)--and now that I've looked at the can, I see that it recommends thinning the paint to use as a primer. (I've never used porch paint, so that was new to me.) So that does solve the problem!

I'm just an amateur sometime painter, but I found myself agreeing with all of you even when you disagreed. When I "painted" my picket fence, I decided on an opaque stain. The wood was rough, and I knew that once the garden grew, it would be a hassle to paint again. I didn't want to have to scrape as well--and a peeling fence looks so bad, whereas a little fading is fine. The stain has held up beautifully for 6 years--and it was ACE brand with an ACE primer underneath. So you are all right!

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Davisgard,
    Some brands reccommend thinning the first coat a little to aid in absorption into the substrate, therefore kind of "priming" itself.
    Your 2nd coat however, shouldn't be diluted. This is the layer that needs more "body".

Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    16 years ago

Actually ACE manufacturers their own paint. I think they are out of Illinois. It just won some quality award. It wasn't Consumer Reports, but that's a bonus not a hinderance if you ask me.

I'm an independent color consultant, I don't sell paint for any one. ACE stocks all the good stuff I can't find at other paint stores. BIN by Zinsser, Cabinet Coat, Pratt & Lambert. Plus my ACE store is brand new and their paint/design center is absolutely lovely with a great staff.

The ACE Sensations is a flat finish that "cleans like a semi-gloss" It's a washable, non-burnishing matte flat enamel. I have Peanut Shell scoped as a great all-over house color. As soon as I find the right house and right clients, I won't hesitate to spec the ACE paint.

• Faron79
    16 years ago

As usual, "Fun-C" (sounds like a rapper's name like that ;) ..."Yo, Fun-C, s'up?!") is right!!

Yes, ACE opened 2 big paint-plants in the 'burbs of Chicago...Matteson, & Chicago Heights...25 yrs. ago!!

Had a fellow yesterday compliment me on the ACE Flat-Sensations they used. "Went on so nice" he said, and "cleans fantastic"! This was totally out of the blue!

We make a LOT of the Peanut Shell color here "Fun"! Also...Galveston Dust, Peanut Brittle, & Nevada Tan...probably round out our "Top-5".

>>> Another EXTREMELY popular color was/is Cafe Latte, in ACE'S previous collection. We STILL use it a lot though. I swear, if I had a $1 for every gallon of that I've made, I'd have a new 'Vette in the garage!!!

(Probably not as nice as the one "Fun-C" must have though...;) )!!

Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    16 years ago

Fun-C. :-) Too dang funny, I love it.

Have made notes of the popular colors, thanks for the info.

• PRO
    Lynch Home Services
    16 years ago

Hey Davisgard, since you already bought the paint, than you might as well use it, but Kelley Moore, UGH !! Anyway, I NEVER put any paint, (first coat thinned to act as a primer) on bare wood. I beleive in ALWAYS, ALWAYS priming bare wood, especially on a floor. I don't trust ANY paint to be thinned as the first priming coat on bare wood- especially when the topcoat is a product like Kelly Moore's ! I would use a good oil base primer, like Ben.Moore's Fast Dry Oil Primer, or even a good latex primer like BullsEye 123. Good luck !

• Faron79
    16 years ago

Hi guys,
    123 can't be used on floors...not made/warranted for that use per Mfr.
    * There ARE specific floor-primers (but NOT 123) obvioulsy. Behr has one for some of their floor products.
    * Not every brand's floor paint requires a separate primer.
    * EVERY brand requires good prep. though!!

Faron