Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
impatience_7

Sob!... Now what do I do?

impatience_7
12 years ago

The kitchen renovation was almost to the finish line. I hired a someone recommended to paint the kitchen including walls, cabinets, pantry and woodwork. I had purchased the BM Aura paint in a dark and a white for the cabinets. The walls and ceiling look fine however, the cabinets are in such a mess that it I have no idea where to start to get it liveable.

First there were such globs of paint that we had him come back and fix. Then as we begin to put dishes, etc back up it was obvious that this paint was peeling in places (where the doors closed). The brush marks are amazing. There are long drips in places. The louvered doors are stuck together and will have to be thrown away. The coverage is thin in lots of places. The cabinet doors stuck and pulled off the wood in several places even with leaving them open for several days in an extremely dry climate. Some of the doors won't close. I can't understand how things could look this bad even with a novice painter.

So, what do I do? How do I find someone to come in and take care of this mess? Where do I start?

Please help me with some advice. I was so close to the finish line in completing my kitchen project. I am just sick.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

• randita
    12 years ago

It sounds to me like the painter did not do the appropriate prep work. The cabinets should have been cleaned and degreased thoroughly, primed, then painted with two coats of paint (allowing the recommended drying time between all coats of paint). When paint peels or pulls off, it's a sign the prep work was inadequate.

Regarding the brush strokes/drips/globs, that's usually the result of a newbie, an inferior brush, or a bad technique. But it could also relate to the poor preparation.

I would first ask the painter to come back and fix the problem spots to your satisfaction. If a painter wants to make a living, he/she has to please customers and you are not pleased.

If that's not an option, then you can either hire another painter to do your cabinets, or just do them yourselves - the right way. But first, try to get satisfaction from the first guy.

• impatience_7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your response Randita.
    I don't think having this guy fix this would work as if he didn't or wouldn't prep I don't have much confidence that he would know how to or be willing to fix it.
    There's alot of cabs here. I wonder if I could hire someone to come and get the cab doors,drawers and doors and take them to strip prep and spray. I could probably handle the remaining frames tho I paid to have this done for a couple of reasons like I wanted this to look good.

How should the matter of $ be handled? I paid a bunch for this and now I am tapped out. What should I expect to pay to have everything undone and repainted? Any ideas regarding approaching the painter for reimbursement?

I know this isn't the end of the world but I have waited so long to get the kitchen done...and I am feeling pretty,well, something not good.

I appreciate any thoughts

Imp

• randita
    12 years ago

Did you sign a contract with satisfaction guaranteed wording? If not, there's probably not much you can do to recoup your money, unfortunately.

You would just have to appeal to the painter's sense of honor and willingness to be fair.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

How should the matter of $ be handled? I paid a bunch for this and now I am tapped out. What should I expect to pay to have everything undone and repainted? Any ideas regarding approaching the painter for reimbursement?

1 - TAKE PICTURES! Lots of pictures of the problems.

If you have not paid him, don't pay until he's come back and done a decent job. He should have done the prep work - it's the standard way to paint cabinets.

"Satisfaction guaranteed" is not required when the painter - the professional - does not do the work according to professional standards.

Do not pay extra - he should have done a better job and should not be compensated extra for doing what he should have done in the first place.

If you have to hire another painter, sue the first one for the cost of having it redone the right way.

• impatience_7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for responses.

Yes I need to pursue legal recourse but his wife has been good friend for 25 years. Makes things complicated. He has been a painter for years. I just don't understand how this went so terribly wrong.

Imp

• impatience_7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Want to add that I purchased the Aura as I wanted to avoid toxins and I'd read good reviews for it with cabinets. I gave him a quart to try out.

I still think that the problem was lack of prep.

Imp