Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finish for raw wood wall

Posted by stockybod (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 0:40

Hello all,
I am planning on doing a wood plank wall in our FR. It will be unfinished pine, from a big box store, having a combination of natural pine color as well as grey streaks running thru it. I want to cover it with some sort of finish to bring out a warm color and just coat the wood. I do not need real protection on the panels.
Suggestions? Poly, shellac, tung oil?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finish for raw wood wall

I would probably just use poly. Poly does have some natural color to it though, so that may add an amber cast to the wood. If you want it totally natural, then I would use a water based poly like Benjamin Moore StaysClear.

o

Maybe boiled linseed oil with a little bit of natural turpentine to thin it out some to soak in the wood better.

I use this on antique furniture and gun stocks.

o

I am a big fan of tung oil, and it would bring out a warm color. It is easy to apply, and easy to redo years later. However, since you apply it and then rub polish it after about 20 minutes, it's important that the wood be smooth and not able to snag fibers from a rubbing rag or paper towel.

Whatever finish you use, first apply it to several pieces of scrap from your project to determine whether it works as you want.

o

Duplicate post deleted...

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 3:36

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here