Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbygannon

Kitchen Cabinet Paint Help Please

gabbygannon
11 years ago

Hello All,

I am new to this site, but am thrilled to have a place where there are so many wonderful ideas. We are in the middle of our kitchen updating and we have decided to have our 1980's Oak cabinets painted in white. The cabinets have a 20 year old stain on them--which is a honey and the grain of the oak is very prominent. We would like to paint our cabinets in a white or (off-white color). I am redoing our kitchen countertops in cararra white marble and the backsplash in white subway tile. I really want our cabinets to look professionally done and want the oak grain to show as little as possible. (Would love for it to disappear altogether) We are not doing them ourselves, but after getting several quotes I realized that each person has a different idea and type of paint that they are going to use. I am scared to death that they will end up looking terrible or that in a few months the paint will scrape or peal. Can any of you offer suggestions of questions I should ask the painters, types of paint/primers/fillers they should use, etc..

Also, we are at a loss as to what to do with the hinges. They are currently bronze--do I replace these with white hinges to blend with the new white cabinets? Can these be painted? I plan on adding knobs and pulls (there are none now) in a brushed nickel/silver tone..

Thanks so much!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living