Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stpaulgal

Advice On House Color

StPaulGal
11 years ago

Hello all! I'm new here, and I was hoping to get some advice from folks more knowledgeable than myself. I am in the final stages of buying a house, and I need some help with paint color.

The picture below is what the house looks like now. Of course, the awnings and awful pipe railing will be the first thing to go, as soon as I have the keys and a screwdriver in hand. The siding is older aluminum with the original finish and is chalking badly.

The house is a 1933 bungalow in a neighborhood of cute bungalows from the teens to 30s. The majority of nearby houses are white/cream stucco, with a few wood sided or brick homes here and there. My house was at least $30/sq. ft. cheaper than surrounding homes, partially because it is in a higher-traffic area across from a church, but I believe also because it lacks the charming curb appeal of the rest of the neighborhood. I would love to make it look more "at home" on the block! Changing over to stucco is not an option due to budget concerns.

One thing to consider is that the detached garage has new-ish white vinyl siding. Modifying that is also not possible at this point. (20-something buying a house here! Not much $ laying around for extras.) Do you have any thoughts on what color scheme would help my house fit into the neighborhood better?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• sarah.brown
    11 years ago

I am new here as well and I am also 20 something and just bought a house. I think maybe a gray-blue color with white window trim would really make your house stick out. Then maybe add some red flowers out in the front. Also, does your garage have windows? If it does I think it might look good if you maybe painted the window trim the same color you paint the house. It would look nice and be very budget friendly.

• kramerkel
    11 years ago

I really like Spanish Gallion by Behr

Here is another pic of the 2nd story painted

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Awww, don't get rid of that awning so fast. Clean it up and repaint it and you might like it.

What color is your roof? You need to take that into consideration.

While you are waiting to close, go to local paint stores and get their idea pamphlets on exterior colors. Sherwin Williams has several. Make note of how the trim is painted in the photos. You want to end up with a group of at least three colors on your house. I would ignore the white vinyl garage for now or make sure one of the colors you select is a light cream or light gray - you can paint vinyl siding, but a lighter color holds better . . . or so they say.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Since the garage has to stay white, could go with a light yellow, dark green door/lighter green window & white house trim color scheme. Appropriate, special identity for the house and an understated pop of color to fit the neighborhood

• sis2two
    11 years ago

That is amazing Funcolors! I love that combination.

• StPaulGal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much for your input. I thought I had posted a second picture that showed the roof color, but now I guess it is nowhere to be seen. The roof is a brownish-red, as shown in this photo. Does that change anyone's opinions?

For the record, the garage has one window, but it is on the side toward the house and hiding behind an overgrown bush and a privacy fence.

The awnings may make some sense elsewhere in the country, but I live in Minnesota, and around here we spend a much higher percentage of the year wishing for more sunlight/warmth as opposed to sheltering ourselves from overly-intense rays. Plus those monstrosities cover up some lovely multi-pane windows!

Thanks again for all your help. I close on the house tomorrow!

• StPaulGal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a google maps shot of a random spot a few blocks away so you can get a bit more of an idea what sort of neighborhood I am talking about. This isn't a great representation, but it was tough to find a view where trees planted along the street didn't obscure the houses.

• StPaulGal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And not that it really matters, but here is the garage for the sake of completeness.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES