Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeblessings_gw

tip for painting cabinets

Homeblessings
10 years ago

I found the following online:
BEST TIP I EVER RECEIVED: Before applying the primer paint, apply (brush or roller) a coat of general purpose primer, like the kind used when painting or installing self-stick tiles to concrete floors. It comes in a gallon container, very inexpensive, and has a consistency of milk. It gives the wood a tacky base and dries clear. Then prime and paint. I did this on my old bathroom vanity before using latex paint. Not one peel or chip after high use.

I have some TEC Multi-Purpose primer. Is this what the poster is referring to? Should I try it on my cabinets? Would there be any harm to trying it? I plan on priming with In-stix waterborne primer

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

I would NOT advocate that advise. Sand ,CLEAN, prime and paint.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

Where did you find that advice? It's horrible. You know the most important thing is the first product you put on the cabinets. If that product doesn't stick, then that could mean problems forever with anything you put on top of that failed primer.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

If that "found advice" is real in the first place....!!

I've never heard of such a looney idea!!!

Do EXACTLY as CN stated.
    The Insl-X STIX primer is a very good one.

Faron

• Homeblessings
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I found it in the link below towards the end of the comments section. Glad I decided to ask first!

Any thoughts on the paint I should use? I had planned on going with Cabinet Coat as it is made by the same brand as the primer, but I'm intrigued with the posts about Fine Paints of Europe. If I go with the later which paint should I buy? I am painting oak cabinets whose panels and drawers were previously painted with a poor paint job. We are painting for resale.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.homestoriesatoz.com/decorating/best-paint-for-kitchen-cabinets.html

• Faron79
    10 years ago

That "tip" on that board sounds like one of those "so-&-so-told-a-friend-of-a-friend" kinda crap. Again...I've NEVER heard of anything so goofy....

>>> I'm glad you noted it's for resale!!!!!
    * I don't CARE what any Realtor may have told you.
    * While FPE is some of the most drool-worthy stuff out there...there's no way in H&LL I'd apply that stuff & then sell!!
    * Save that stuff for what you're moving INTO!
    * I wouldn't paint them AT ALL.
    * Whatever color you choose will be the wrong color.
    * I'd like to choose my own colors..."thank-you-very-much" is kinda what I'm getting at here!
    * You COULD maybe do some good prep, & leave them primed...!?!??!
    * I've NEVER believed in that looney "throw-on-a-quick-coat-of-paint to sell" rubbish.
    * Most of the time, it just CREATES headaches for new owners because they often have to deal with a "no prep" scenario, & a crappy paintjob.

Faron

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

I'm noticing now that we seem to be a bit beyond the era of throwing a coat of white paint on everything before you list the house for sale and that we have moved into a new era where the realtor comes in and makes suggestions of which you should paint and which you should not....and it's always some taupe color on this or that and every job I do where some random realtor is involved, there is always something that gets painted that probably shouldn't be. In other words, the realtor is basically importing his/her tastes into the home and I'm never sure this actually helps sell anything. But whatever...I guess it's more work for the painter.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

paintguy is correct, freeking relators really don't have a clue

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

How about priming with Phenoseal? Maybe that would work.
    Casey