Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccbelle

peeling, fresh paint on vinyl shutters - salvageable?

ccbelle
13 years ago

We have 10 yr old, med blue exterior vinyl shutters that faded. Our HOA required us to remedy. My husband removed them and painted them (using a brush) with primer and two coats of Behr exterior semi gloss. In addition to being too bright a blue, the paint is peeling off the edges. He had spray painted a set years ago with success, but not with this set.

So now we're shopping for new vinyl shutters. Black this time, although our grey siding (also ten years old) has faded to a greyish white, and we have a blue and green stained glass covering the middle upper window. I guess black shutters will fade to something more pleasant than a light blue, anyway. Side question: w/out a picture, does this combo of colors sound ok? We have two tall blue spruces in front too.

The bigger question: would these shutters be salvageable/useful for some group like Habitat for Humanity? I doubt I could even freecycle them at this point, but who knows. Is vinyl ever that paintable (will it withstand southern sun?) Or would some vinyl renu product be a better bet in the future?

thanks!

Comments (2)