Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staining deck for the first time

Posted by plfreitag (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 22:05

Hi everyone.
I'm going to be helping my son stain a deck this year. Neither of us has ever done it before. We are doing this on a rental property he lives in so we don't know much at all about the wood or any of that; hopefully, this question can be answered around the specifics anyhow.

My son has been told that he has a heavy hand when painting, applying the coats of paint too thick. Now I have no clue how he does it too thickly or how I manage to do it right. Is there a way I can explain to him how to use a lighter technique when applying the stain? We don't want it goopy because a good job will result in him getting a nice break on his rent, as well as the potential for future work with the landlord if he's pleased with what we do.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I'm hoping to help him get some increased self-esteem and this is one way I'm trying to get this done. If he can get a sense of a job well done and see that he has the skills to do this as well as being able to judge the thickness of paint or stain it will help his skill set as well as his self-esteem.

Trisha in MO

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staining deck for the first time

Need some more info....or PICS!!...of the existing condition & materials present on the wood now.

Since it's a rental, you'll probably have to steel yourself to possibly of your son being hamstrung by the stereotypical "cheap-a$$" landlords that are all too prevalent. Some LL's wouldn't know the Sistine-Chapel's art from "Elvis-Dogs" paintings...lol!!

The current state of your deck, rel. to the "finished" expectations & budget, will guide most answers here.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here