Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Rustoleum Door Paint-anyone tried it???

Posted by crissyinchaseburg (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 21:57

Has anyone tried the new Rust-oleum Door Paint???
Any comments or suggestions?? I need to paint our steel doors and this stuff looks pretty promising.
I am thinking of having the color custom tinted and I am wondering how accurate the color swatches are.
Any suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Cris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Rustoleum Door Paint-anyone tried it???

This paint is total garbage. Buy a can of real oil based enamel if you want paint-I'm not sure WHAT this stuff was, but it took another two weeks of work to get back to where we started on the door before we applied it. It flowed badly, it's "open time" was about two seconds...rather like trying to paint a door with chewing gum. when it dried the surface was a complete joke...incidently I have painted HOUSEFULS of trim in my time-I am really good at it.
I think it is paint made with the assumption that we are all too stupid to apply oil based paint and that in our ignorance we will accept any coating that is a pretty color.
Sherwin Williams makes very nice oil based paints, as do other manufacturers.
Regular old Rustoleum was always the go-to enamel in years gone by, but since they now manufacture this kind of crap and foist it off on people I no longer trust them.

o
RE: New Rustoleum Door Paint-anyone tried it???

Well put. I now have to sand the chewing gum off!! It dries the minute the brush hits the door! No way to get a uniform brush stroke! Horrible, horrible paint!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here