Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painted doors, how long to put knobs on?

Posted by EngineerChic (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 21:30

I'm in the process of painting interior doors for our second floor. I've read that latex paint takes 30 days to cure but I have a couple questions:

1 - Should I wait 30 days before having the door knobs installed? I sprang for the pricey Emtek knobs because I really wanted black knobs with a rectangular rosette. So I'm torn between getting to see them on the doors finally and thinking I doubly don't want to mess them up somehow.

2 - I'm using Floetrol with Benjamin Moore Satin paint in Superwhite. Should I expect the curing process to take longer b/c of the Floetrol (and b/c of the warmer, more humid summer weather)?

It's slow going, but so far they look pretty good. I can't get them to be brush-stroke free but I'm not a pro. I am hiring a pro to do the windows (they are pre-primed and I don't want to risk painting them shut or slopping paint into the tracks).

Thanks in advance for the help!
-EChic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painted doors, how long to put knobs on?

If you are careful, 3 or 4 days should work.

o
RE: Painted doors, how long to put knobs on?

Wait as long as you can before 30 days IMO. Paint is not the same as it used to be. With these super low VOC paints...it takes that long to fully cure. With that said, I just recently did some repainting and after 2 weeks, did I put the switch/outlet coverplates on, etc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here