Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior primers and caulk

Posted by jbnimble (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 20:47

I used a GE paintable caulk. I had planned to prime with Sherwin Williams' best oil primer. BUT after caulking, I learned (NOT on caulk tube) that the caulk requires latex primer. So now, I've primed on and near the caulked areas with Kilz best latex primer.

The finish coat will be Sherwin Williams Duration latex.

Question: Is it now better to prime everything (bare wood, sanded painted wood, plus latex-primed caulk areas) with oil base primer, or simply finish all the priming with the Kilz latex primer? (I already have both primers).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior primers and caulk

You caulk _after_ priming, not before. Caulk has more stick on paint than to bare wood. Any caulk can go over any primer. Your caulk is recommended to be topcoated with acrylic/latex rather than oil, which is understandable.
Casey

o

"You caulk _after_ priming, not before."

Not universal. I am using urethane caulk outdoors. The manufacturer says NOT to prime before application. I am sure that the other way around would work. My opinion is that they would rather guarantee sticking to their wide range of specified substrates than to a huge number of possible paint choices.

o

Your urethane is more of a sealant than a painter's caulk. Hence the great chasm of distinction. Few people want to caulk with urethane sealant prior to a paint job. It is a far more specialized product and not exactly germane to this topic.
Casey

o

I have to admit that it is kind of a pain compared to other materials. The biggest problem is that you need to wait a week to paint it. It is nice that you can paint it or not and it is supposed to be more durable than silicone or latex.

I don't see the chasm. The English definitions of caulk and sealant are very similar. What is the difference in your mind?

o

I would ditch the Kilz latex primer and go with the SW oil for starters. The slow dry oil is the only way to prep an exterior for painting. I never herad of a caulk REQUIRING a latex primer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here