Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smilin54

peeling paint on ceiling

smilin54
10 years ago

Hi folks, I have never posted here before but I do read this forum occasionally.

I am in the middle of a bedroom re-do. Probably about 28 years ago, when it was in style, I put drywall compound on my ceiling and textured it with a whisk. Biggest mistake I've made in a long time. I'm very tired of it so undertook, with my sister's help, to remove the texturing. We sprayed it with water & scraped it off and it came off quite easily. I sanded all the rough spots and then mudded some cracks and sanded those too. While I was at work the next day, sister dearest decided to paint the ceiling. It is a lath & plaster ceiling, the house is about 100 years old but it had been painted with latex paints 3-4 times prior to putting the plaster compound over the paint. So I saw a few spots that were bubbled and peeling. We scraped them clean and she put some paint over that and then painted a second complete layer of paint over all. And it bubbled/peeled again!

I'm pretty sure it's because she didn't take a damp cloth to get rid of the plaster dust and the paint just won't adhere. We've been trying to scrape the paint off and it's a very slow tedious job. I spoke with the paint person and two different stores and they both agreed that we have to get the paint off, wash it all down really well, then put a layer of oil based primer on it. The oil base should stick to the ceiling and allow us to paint with a latex colour after we're done. I'm just sick about all this and she is getting very frustrated. She is 73 and I'm 62 so we're no spring chickens undertaking this. We've both had painting experience.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting that paint off the ceiling so we can put the primer on before I see my next birthday in October?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Reid's Handyman Service
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars24 Reviews
Fairfax County's Top Handyman Service | Best of Houzz 2018-2019