Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cgw1_gw

changing from exterior oil paint to latex

cgw1
12 years ago

Hi, I posted this a few hours ago, but just realized that I entered it into another thread, So sorry.

My question for the experts here:

Today I had a quote for painted my windows. The rep told me that we can no longer buy oil paint here (Ontario, Canada) and said that they would use BM Aura. She said that they would wash, scuff/sand, and paint two coats of Aura and that no priming was necessary. I am concerned about the durability of this. My last paint job has lasted twenty years!!!!

I called my local BM dealer and it is true there is no longer any oil paint, but when I asked if there was any in the basement, he said yes. So, I could still get some, but I forget exactly what product he said he had.

Now, if the painters won't do this, do you think...

A) Go with the two coats of Aura

B) Buy the oil paint and find a private painter

I really need a good paint job that will last.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

The painters should have no problem with painting the oil.I would be cautious of not priming first if switching to any latex product. You're oil paint job may have lasted 20 years but todays paints will barely last half as long

• txcountrygal
    12 years ago

I'm not an expert, but have always heard that if you change from oil based to latex, or visa versa, you should always prime first.

• cgw1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I am still very unhappy about them wanting to use Aura without a primer, so I am getting quotes for new windows and see what I think is best for me. Thank goodness it is still early in the season so there is no need to rush.

• Faron79
    12 years ago

If you want stunning Oils, check out FPE paints.

I've used some...not on my home, but fortunate enough to have sampled some of their line.
    Used the Eurolux Interior Matte in my bathroom.

It's some truly amazing stuff.
    Cheap...No.
    Your best choice...Yes.

(If you want another 20yr. paint-job that is!)

Faron

• cgw1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, that I have been so long in updating.

I got my windows painted and hope that it lasts several years. My painter used Sherwin Williams A100. I know norhing about this paint, but he swears by it. I can only hope that it is good.

Thank you all for your replies and pray for me.
    Regards

• cgw1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, that I have been so long in updating.

I got my windows painted and hope that it lasts several years. My painter used Sherwin Williams A100. I know norhing about this paint, but he swears by it. I can only hope that it is good.

Thank you all for your replies and pray for me.
    Regards

• Michael
    12 years ago

In the realm of good, better, best, A100 is a good paint.