Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sloyder

Benjamin Moore Paint

sloyder
10 years ago

Which is the better paint? The store I normally frequent sells the Ben and Regal Select, no Regal Classic.

Comments (12)

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

Regal is being phased out (thank god for this as BM has far too many lines of paint). Regal Select is their premium line of paint which is one step below Aura. Ben is the cheap stuff.

• sloyder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Damn the girl at the paint store gave me Ben for exterior trim, luckily am just touching up some trim. Will go to another store that knows paint.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Ben was the correct choice for exterior, she knew what she was doing

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I'm headed to the BM store today to buy paint for my shutters. I don't want to buy Aura. Have been using MooreGlo, but I don't see that anymore, so I was going to go with Regal Select. Why is Ben better for exterior work? I thought Ben was for people who wanted a low-VOC option.

P.S. I don't want Aura because from what I have read, it dries too fast and is thicker than other paints. Both are disadvantages when dealing with the nooks and crannies of shutters. Right?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

There is an Aura extender but I was told Regal doesn't have the dry problem from low VOC and I'd love it as much as Aura. Aura does have that color lock technology.

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

I think Moorguard and Moorglo are being phased out as well, replaced by Regal Select exterior paints. I just did a couple exteriors with the Regal Select and it seems to perform just as the Moorglo did.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I bought some today, the exterior paint is called Regal Select MooreGlo SoftGloss. The paint store guy said it was a higher quality than Ben.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

bought some today, the exterior paint is called Regal Select MooreGlo SoftGloss. The paint store guy said it was a higher quality than Ben.

Right, Ben is OK , just a little less expensive(cheaper)

• mfnJsb0809
    10 years ago

Which is better for interior paint- benjamin Moore or sherwin Williams! Pros/cons for each??

• Vertise
    10 years ago

There is a preference for BM on GW.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

We've been pleased with SW Duration exterior paint. Haven't used Ben Moore.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I used Aura last night for the first time, and I'm in love! I'm not a professional painter, but I've painted every room in my house a couple of times, so I have some experience. I painted one wall of my dining room last night.

I used a 1/2" nap roller, so it took a bit to initially load the roller with paint, but once I got going, there was no stopping me. I looked at it up close this morning, and I can't see that I even need to touch up, much less apply a second coat. It cut in very smoothly. It does dry FAST, but doesn't show a distinction between dried cut in paint and rolled paint.

I can't wait to paint the rest of the dining room and the kitchen with this stuff. I paid $67/gallon, but I think it was well worth it.

Oh, and the Putnam Ivory color is lovely too!

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm