Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is your favorite white paint?

Posted by kraftdee (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 19:56

We're doing our whole house white. Of course there are a million choices for white. Does anyone have favorites or recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is your favorite white paint?

Antique White and Bone white are both nice and very popular. When going white I always try pick something with a touch of black in it because of the higher hiding abilities. A little bit will go a LONG way. Whites with yellows and reds will show EVERYTHING.

o

Bm Bone White, BM Navajo White, BM Linen White all look great with bright white trim since I have all three colors in my home and love the look. SW Antique White is nice also.

o

For trim, I like SW Extra White. It goes with both warm and cool colors. For walls, there are countless choices. Be sure to ask what tones the whites you like are tinted with because you'll want it to blend with your decor. E.G., if you have decor that is blue/gray/rose in tone, you probably wouldn't want a white that was tinted with yellow or gold.

SW and I'm sure other companies as well, has a card which shows all its whites. It's very helpful as you can hold the colors up to your furniture and wood and see how they blend.

o

BM Ballet White for walls, White Dove for trim. It goes with absolutely everything, but still feels warm and comfortable. As time goes on we are adding color, but Ballet White will still work as the ceiling color.

o

I know this will sound boring, but I really like the plain old "white" for Benjamin Moore washable matte. I haven't tried the Aura paint yet, but the guy at the paint shop said they can match that same white in the Aura line. I guess "Super White" would be my No. 2 choice.

o

I did all my trim work in Benjamin Moore 'Cloud White'

o

I have used BM simply white throughout my house and I love it.

o

Lawncrazed, can you explain this a little bit:

"When going white I always try pick something with a touch of black in it because of the higher hiding abilities. A little bit will go a LONG way. Whites with yellows and reds will show EVERYTHING."

Thanks,
Linelle

o

We used an old color called Beethoven (don't remember the manufacturer). We just get it matched, but I'm ready to change over to a newer available white paint. Thanks for these suggestions! We'll check them out.

o

All white paint has a touch of black in it - usually right off the bat in the base.

Pratt & Lambert has the "cleanest" white and I can never remember the name. Can look it up if anyone wants to know. The factor of black colorant isn't necessarily what gives white paint hiding power, there's other stuff too.

My favorite white for trim, etc. is from Pittsburgh Paints and it's so not a sexy name. "Commercial White". :)

o

Oh Fun-C...
I'm not so sure on that!
"Commercial White" DOES kinda send a "chill" up my spine...;-)

Some whites by Ralph-Lauren I like:
Golf Tee White, Country Stove White, Design Studio White, & Tackroom White.

Yeah...the HUGE "Urban/PAINTING-legend" that a smidgen of Black/other colorant in a gallon magically makes it "cover" better is pure baloney. It just makes a different COLOR!!

>>> The level of, and grind-quality of, Titanium-Dioxide in a paint is what determines "Coverage". A better word here should be OPACITY.
Coverage means, more correctly, how much AREA a particular can will "cover", at a given spread rate/mill-thickness, and still be a viable film.
>>> 99% of paints out there shouldn't be spread thinner than the rate of 400sf/gal. anyway. That's the absolute max.

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here