Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting over tacky paint - please help

Posted by vnyc (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 18:19

Hi there,

I know there have been several postings re: tacky paint. I have a related question I wasn't able to find the answer to, and would greatly appreciate your help.

My contractor repainted a built-in wardrobe with Benjamin Moore's Impervo paint (water based), using two coats of BM primer and two coats of Impervo. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have applied the paint properly -- applied thick coats and didn't wait long enough btw coats. As a result, the shelves are still tacky after more than a month. I live in a relatively dry, warm climate so I don't think the shelves will ever dry properly.

I've read on this and other forums that you can sand, prime, and repaint the tacky surface to solve the problem.

My question is this: Is it okay to prime and paint OVER a tacky surface, or will that be painting on a bad foundation and making things worse? Do I have to strip and remove the tacky paint before I repaint with the objective of removing the tackiness?

Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting over tacky paint - please help

I'm sorry you're going through this!!

IMO...you're correct in thinking these shelves will never cure right!
* The contractor has basically "trapped" a thick/damp under-layer with another thick top-layer.
* This condition is never gonna cure...at least THIS year anyway...literally.
* YES, these tacky layers have to be removed. Your "bad foundation" analogy is perfect here! You'll just compound the problem if these layers stay put.
* You can TRY sanding, but it's probably gonna gum-up the paper too fast. Give it a shot though...
* I'd rather sand though, than use harsh strippers!

Use 2 full "new" coats though...but not TOO full!
3-4 hours between coats.
Then, let them harden-off for a month b4 putting into use.

Faron

o
RE: Painting over tacky paint - please help

Faron, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. It's interesting - when I sand, the 'tacky' paint is actually coming off dusty, not gummy .. so I'm going to try to sand down just a little bit before repainting, rather than try to remove all the paint, which would take weeks (it's a huge wardrobe).

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here