Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BM paint for primed MDF trim

Posted by scrigity (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 16:45

I re-did my living room cornice, baseboard and casings in primed MDF. I used Benjamin Moore Aura Atrium White in Satin finish. My next project is to do the same for the dining room. I am curious before I start if anybody knows of a Benjamin Moore paint made specifically for trim. Aura looks great but was very hard to work with on trim. I love working with Aura on walls but trim was thick and awkward to spread on trim. Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BM paint for primed MDF trim

I'm currently using Ace Cabinet & Trim paint on my cabinet doors and love it. It's a latex/oil hybrid. While I haven't tried it, I believe the BM equivalent would be Advance. I've also heard good things about BM Satin Impervo (waterbourne or alkyd), but haven't personally used it.

o

Thank you. I looked into the Satin Impervo and think I may try the Waterborne. I appreciate the help!!

o

Just be aware, it also has a learning curve to it. It is awesome paint, but it is also somewhat tricky.

o

Glad you bring this up. Any advice on using Impervo? Since I posted this, I have looked into other options. I am seeing that Muralo Ultra Waterborne Satin Flow Enamel is wonderful to work with for trim. Thoughts?

o

Either one is good

o

I am also painting pre-primed MDF trim. BM told me to sand, then use an oil based primer, then can use latex paint. I had tried a latex primer which was very difficult to use. Plus I later found out you are not to use latex primer as water will make MDF expand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here