Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
matte or satin for kitchen

Posted by hobbydecorator (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 16:15

Hi. My husband and I were thinking of doing satin for the kitchen because of the high traffic with 3 kids and a dog. My questions are:

What finish is usually used in the kitchen, is it matte or satin or something else?

Would satin be too glossy and if so, then should we use matte?
Would matte be durable enough?

Thanks for the help. I really like this forum and glad to have found it because we don't have too much experience with interior painting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: matte or satin for kitchen

Depends on what brand of matte paint you're talkin' about.

BenM Aura or SW Duration in matte would hold up just fine in the environ you describe.

Some satins can absolutely end up too shiny - have to get samples to make that determination because gloss levels are not consistent brand to brand. Color also matters - if you have a midtone and a deeper color both in the same brand and gloss level, the deeper color will look shinier than the midtone despite all other things being equal.

o

thanks funcolors. I should of included the paint brand. it is SW harmony that we use. I we might just do matte

o

I used eggshell on the ceilings and walls, because I'm just that kind of avant-garde Bohemian type. I also used oil semi-gloss on the painted wood trim, but keep that under your hat!
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here