Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenva2010

Painting one wall at a time?

jenva2010
10 years ago

I desperately want to paint our bedroom walls. Unfortunately, the room has become a dumping ground for tons of random stuff as we work on the rest of the house. It will be at least a year before we get enough stuff moved out that I could actually paint in there. However, I could rearrange enough to do one wall at a time. So, I would move stuff, prime and paint one wall, wait a couple of weeks (or more), then do a different wall. Is this a bad idea? Am I likely to get paint built up in the corners, or have other problems?

Comments (6)

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

I can't think of any reason why you cannot paint that way. Sounds great!

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Do what you have to do and what works for you. One tip I've heard is to put all the stuff in the center of the room and work around the pile.

Just be careful about dust on the walls. A washdown with tsp or water, then good dry (mine dried very quickly).

Also understand, and the painting pros certainly can correct me, that it's best to use an opened can within 6 months. so BANG that cover on hard (but don't splatter it all over your walls, wipe the lip down first real well).

Good luck. I'm doing this technique in a bathroom right now.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I did an entire house like that one summer ... move furniture away from one wall, or take down drapes, cut in, paint and move everything back. I was in high school and my parents had been talking about painting ... so I just did it.

What I did to make it easier was cut in for the next wall where I could, so when I prepped and cut in wall one I overlapped the cutting in onto the adjoining walls.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I did an entire house like that one summer ... move furniture away from one wall, or take down drapes, cut in, paint and move everything back. I was in high school and my parents had been talking about painting ... so I just did it.

What I did to make it easier was cut in for the next wall where I could, so when I prepped and cut in wall one I overlapped the cutting in onto the adjoining walls.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

You do what you have to do. It will get done that way!

• HU-469986262
    5 months ago

thanks for the encouragement - I think this is the only way I'll get it done...