Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
exterior color advice

Posted by joelg (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 15:46

We've gotten to the fish or cut bait point for picking a color in our remodeling project as the painters will soon run out of other things to paint. Our architect has suggested a color that I just don't love, SW 6127 "Ivoire". I came up with another SW color, "Classic Ivory", that I like better. Local opinions here are about split on the two and DW isn't being terribly helpful (by that I mean she wont decide for me:) )

I attached a picture where I colored the siding Ivoire using the SW web site. Unfortunately, I can't find my color on SW web site. Looking for it by name fails and I don't have the number here at work. I also colored the columns on the front porch white since they are getting painted white today. The cedar shakes are going to be stained with Cabot semi-transparent "Redwood", along with the brackets on the porch and gables.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: exterior color advice

Here's a picture of the two colors that I mentioned above. The shakes in the picture are half stained with the color I mentioned above too.

o

DOH! Classic Ivory is on the left and Ivoire is on the right

o

6127 Ivoire is the right choice. Would not choose Classic Ivory; too many context disconnects.

The objective isn't necessarily to love the color per se. Rather, the objective is to love the color relationships -- how the paint color relates to other elements of the facade in order to create a pleasing and cohesive curb appeal. And Ivoire does that far better than Classic Ivory.

o

Between the two, I agree with funcolors. That being said, I think you can do better. Between the white trim and windows, the yellow-cream body, the brown shakes, the dark gray roof and the rust brick, I think the exterior is too choppy. I would try, via photoshop, to paint the bricks either the same colour or a darker shade of the siding color and have that color be one that mingles a little better with the stained shakes. You have a very pretty house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here