Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbygannon

Gemini Coatings-Lacquer for Cabinets?

gabbygannon
11 years ago

Is anyone out there familiar with Gemini coatings-pigmented lacquer? One of the bids we got for painting our kitchen cabinets uses this product. The painter said that they will sand the cabinets down, prime them and then spray them with this. Does anyone have any reviews of this product for cabinet paint? Our cabinets are Oak and we will be painting them white.

Comments (10)

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I haven't heard of it, but I wonder if it's a professional grade coating, not just a DIY off-the-shelf paint?

My only concern would be if you want to paint them differently down the road, lacquer could be trickier to repaint over than regular cabinet paint. You probably won't be able to touch up the paint if they chip, either. However, it sounds like they have the right idea on prep work and you'll be getting a durable, smooth finish. Are you okay with the oak grain showing through the paint? Some people don't mind the look of painted oak, others prefer to use grain filler first. Happiness with results is all about managing expectations, and if you're expecting to see the grain, you won't be disappointed when the cabinets aren't as smooth as MDF.

• gabbygannon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for responding... yes I agree about the grain--I am not too excited to see it at all...... Some grain is fine--but too much would really bother me.
    Also, I keep reading on this forum and others that Lacquer yellows, has a high number of VOCs and that worries me. I might do a search for a better product. We have small children and I am VERY sensitive to chemicals.

• Nyrene Badal Aviles
    8 years ago

Did you end up going with the Gemini product? If so, how has it been?

• PRO
    The Flooring Girl
    6 years ago

Yes, this is an EXCELLENT paint for cabinets. It's a professional and durable product. You should be priming first, then 2 coats of paint. Note: most of the other DIY products promoted on the internet/pinterest do NOT hold up. I'm going to be writing an article on this subject soon.

• s m
    6 years ago
    Did you end up using this ?;)
  • Nyrene Badal Aviles
    6 years ago
    We didn’t — we used kelly Moore dura poxy and it’s held up great for the last two years
  • s m
    6 years ago
    My painter is offering the same paint you didn’t use and I didn’t know anything about VOCs until you mentioned it! What exactly are they?! Now I am terrified because I have children too! Thanks for your time! He is actually starting tomorrow
  • s m
    6 years ago
    The gimini one.
  • gabbygannon
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dura poxy by Kelly Moore is what we ended up using too. It’s been 5 years and it’s still doing great.