Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does painting old wallpaper make it much harder to remove later?

Posted by Subdued_Excitement (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 15:41

I have a house full of multiple layers of painted-over wallpaper. I'd love to prime and paint for a quick fix, but would these extra layers make it much harder to remove later?

It's actual wallpaper, not vinyl. Former owner was a smoker so the walls need some attention asap. I'd love to properly strip each room down to the original plaster, but the plaster will most likely need major repair a few years from now when I get the house brought to level and put in a new foundation. With so many layers of paper and paint already, how bad could a new primer/paint layer be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does painting old wallpaper make it much harder to remove lat

Since it is painted over already, it will not matter much to paint over it again.

o

I have an old house from 1780. We bought it last year. Every room is wallpapered. We removed the paper in the kitchen and one bathroom. These rooms had sort of a semi-gloss paint under wallpaper and it wasn't that hard to remove the paper. Now I started in the upstairs hallway and boy that paper is stuck but good. Raw plaster (horsehair) underneath. So I call in the pros who had given me a $300 estimate to remove the paper in both of the hallways and up the stairs. Well after working on just one long wall, they say that it will cost about $3000 since the paper is so well-adhered. So I say stop stripping the paper and what are my options. They suggest sealing the paper and painting over it. I said fine, I can do that. So I tested some primer on it and nary a bubble appeared. So my solution is to just paint over it. Not my preference, but definitely easier on my wallet!

o

Does painting old wallpaper make it much harder to remove later?

YES

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here