Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie1000

Can Gardz be tinted?

debbie1000
12 years ago

I'm priming and painting MDF baseboard. There are smudges/scuffs on the baseboard that will not come off. I have lightly sanded and will use Gardz, then paint it white.

Since Gardz is clear, I'm concerned that it will "seal" the smudges.

I read somewhere not to tint Gardz and it said it would prolong the drying time. That would be fine because it would give me more time to work it, right?

I would just like to have it tinted about 25-50% of white and then paint white over it. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

I've tinted GARDZ many times. Never oodles of tint tho, just enought to give it some color. It does help with hiding to an extent but don't expect too much. It's also helpful so you can see where you've applied it.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Might I ask why you are priming baseboard with Gardz?

• debbie1000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well now I'm not because Lowes told me that they have it and went I went there they said they no longer carry it.

I am so confused. I have tried to research what to prime "pre-primed" MDF baseboard with. I was pretty set on an oil-based primer and then I saw something that said Gardz was the best--so that is how got thinking that Gardz was the way to go.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated. I had tried a latex primer and it dragged and dried very quickly; it looked terrible.

If you can recommend a specific primer and paint I would appreciate it. I do need a primer plus paint, don't I??

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Well now. Just goes to show it's not always about the right answer rather it's about asking the right questions.

:)

• debbie1000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wish I knew what the right question is--I have so many of them and one leads to another to another!!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Chris hit the nail on the head, saw the bigger picture and asked the right question which is why GARDZ on a baseboard.

You will no doubt get more input here, buddysmom, but it would be really handy if you could seek in-person help from a nice, neighborhood paint and/or hardware store with a good reputation for service. A brand name professional paint store would be a second choice.

If you take a piece of your trim work with you, one of the in-store pros would be the ones asking YOU the questions - you'd just have to answer. And then they'd fix you up with all the right stuff, products and info, for your project.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

Fun has this nailed down tight, there you go.Glad I asked about the baseboard and Gardz. Gardz is a GREAT primer for what it is intended for.

• debbie1000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did go to the paint stores near me. I went to Benjamin Moore and was close to buying his recommendation which was an oil-based primer for 45.00.

I wanted other opinions and went to two Sherwin Williams stores. Neither knew what MDF baseboard was and did not have any specific recommendations other than regular latex primer.

We do not have any MAB stores around here.

I'll probably go back and get it from Benjamin Moore. Problem is that the baseboard is already installed so the paint cannot be sprayed.

It's just the standard MDF baseboard that Home Depot, etc carries. It was installed by my flooring people when I had new floors installed.

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Since you asked about the so-called paint & primers...

I just used some Ben Moore Regal Select Paint & Primer on ceiling trim and was really happy with how it went on. Most of the boards I primed anyway because they were raw wood, but I had to send DH back for more and he got a pre-primed piece, which I didn't prime, just painted. I don't see any brush strokes, and I've been really happy with how the Regal Select goes on and covers, both on walls and trim. I don't see brushstrokes on the trim at all (of course, the matte finish and my Purdy Chinex brush probably help with that).

• paintguy22
    12 years ago

I think what you are experiencing is what we all experience when painting MDF. It's just not fun to paint. I would use the latex primer (Zinnser 123, BM's Fresh Start, etc), perhaps add some conditioner and really try to move fast. This is usually the reason why the primer ends up looking bad. It dries fast, so dip, apply your paint to a section, dip again and keep moving. When you stay around one area with the brush overworking the paint, this is when you get into trouble. Painting real wood is easier though, that's for sure. Once your primer is applied, the next coats will be easier.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    12 years ago

Figured the GW team would come through. ChrisN, paintguy and jessicaml - all trustworthy forum pros. Advice from three pros all in one place - can't beat that! ;)

Yeah, understand about the SW store. That's why I put brand name signature-type stores as a second choice to a neighborhood independent. Brand name product doesn't always guarantee top-notch expertise and service.

These days you almost have to interview your paint store destinations like you do designers and contractors! It's a lil rough out there in paint world right now.

But, again, you got some really good advice from the forum here. (only one missing is Faron but he must be busy, lol!)

• debbie1000
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much everyone!
    Everyone is so helpful, I really appreciate it.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH