Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advice on Stripping Front Door

Posted by flymom65 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 15:17

Our front door is stained wood. We have already had it redone once in the past - been here 6 years. The sun is really doing a number on it and the stain is peeling off. I am thinking of painting the door black to match our shutters. I have never attempted a project like this but saw CEFreeman's posts about the Citristrip. I was wondering if you would recommend the product for this type of application. I want to make certain that I get all the stain off the door. We hired someone to do it the last time and I don't think he sanded it enough so the finished product looked a little "gooped up". Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to do a good job since this is the "first impression" people get when they come to visit. Also, I am hoping that paint will last longer than the stain. What type of paint would you recommend? I know I need an oil based primer, but I have read recommendations for latex and oil based paint.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advice on Stripping Front Door

Use Zip Strip.

o

I use Citristrip to remove stain. Paint I a given, but the bonus is that a 2nd application will pull it out. I love the non-flesh-eating-ness (huh?) of Citristrip. I just today stripped several drawer fronts. Quick and very, very easy. Water clean up!

I also find it important that I don't have to sand. Using sanders or sand paper to remove paint or stain has become like fingernails on a chalk board. So much damage if you're not careful!

But are you going to paint or stain? You don't have to remove stain if you're going to paint, anyway!
Sorry. Confused.

o

I would also recommend the citristrip! I have used it on coffee & end tables, kitchen cabinets & drawers, and every interior door in our house. It does not have an overly powerful smell and no chemical smell at all, and personally I really loved that it is gel form. It works great and is very easy to use. We have used it on objects that had been stained for a very long time (bought a foreclosed house) and it did great. Sorry I cannot be of any advice for what to use or do to paint your door though. Best of luck and have fun!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here