Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Painting, hire out or DIY (also anyone heard of Mad Dog?

Posted by ajtrenkle (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 14:35

Hey everyone,

I live in an old home (1902). We moved in last year and the exterior paint needs some work, nothing terrible but moderate cracking and peeling. Would like to do two of the four sides this year and two next. The house is fairly tall two stories, Victorian style. One side is 32 feet long, and the other 22 feet long.

We were quoted several prices, but the best with good background experience from the guy was a price of $2600 for the sides and trim. What do you think, good price or should I DIY? We are in Chicago suburbs

Also the guy advises using a product called Mad Dog for a house with layers of old paint. He says it helps create a layer that moves with weather. It adds $2k to the cost but is supposed to last twice as long.

What do you all think? I appreciate any feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Painting, hire out or DIY (also anyone heard of Mad

I never heard of Mad Dog, but it's very hard to judge a painting bid online, especially for Victorian style exteriors...could be a ton of intricate detail work involved with those. But, it really sounds low considering that usually older homes require a good amount of prep work before painting.

o

Mad Dog 20?

Used to drink that stuff back in the early 70's

o

ajtrenkle,
I'm in the same situation now as you were in 2011. I'm in the Chicago burbs too... Lake Zurich, IL

What did you decide to do with painting your home?

Did you go the Mad Dog primer route?

Do you recall the painter's name who recommended Mad Dog?

What painter did you go with?

Thanks!
Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here